UM intends to purchase Cedars Hospital

After negotiations to purchase Cedars Medical Hospital, the University of Miami School of Medicine signed a letter of intent to purchase the facility, located across the street from UM/Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Until Monday, a partnership between UM and Cedars was uncertain, due to the announcement last year that UM would build its own 114-bed hospital.

Though the purchase of Cedars will provide UM with a 560-bed hospital facility, plans for a UM-built facility have not been cancelled. Miller School Dean Pascal J. Goldschmidt said the university plans to maintain an alliance between UM and Jackson, which is overseen by the Public Health Trust of Miami-Dade County.

Furthermore, HCA, the company that currently owns Cedars, plans to provide support service to UM to go along with the purchase. HCA will provide billing and collections, information technology and procurement services to the university.

Representatives from the Miller School declined a request by The Miami Hurricane to comment.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...