Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball: Bye-bye Clemente, bye-bye Gilbert

University of Miami men’s basketball Head Coach Frank Haith recently announced that freshman forward Lawrence Gilbert and sophomore guard Denis Clemente will not return to the program next season.

Before being shut down for the season for violating team policy, Clemente was an integral part of the backcourt. Clemente, who started in 15 of the 27 games he appeared in, averaged 9.8 points and 3.3 assists per game. Gilbert, who appeared in 20 games, averaged 1.5 points and 1.3 rebounds per game.

Both have been granted a leave to transfer.

Golf: Prats shines at USF/Waterlefe Invite

University of Miami senior Tiffany Prats displayed an impressive three-day showing at the USF/Waterlefe Invite. Prats put together a three round total 225, which left her at a respectable nine over par, allowing her to finish second at the event.

The Hurricanes to finished in eighth place.

Helping to the cause were junior Hagen Weintraub, who tied for 28th; junior Jessica Steward, who tied for 38th; senior Josie Shinn, who tied for 47th; and sophomore Annabelle Paulino, who finished 76th.

Football: Spring cleaning

The University of Miami football program recently hosted its first spring scrimmage, giving fans a look at what might be brewing for next season.

“This was just the first scrimmage,” Head Coach Randy Shannon said. “We don’t want to be ready to go or be in tip-top shape until the first game. And we want to play our beat game the last part of the season, so we’re on a steady move going forward. Guys are doing a good job, but we need to improve a lot. The defense did a lot of good things, and a couple of running backs made some nice runs, but now we have to finish it.”

In the scrimmage, fans saw quarterback Kirby Freeman throw a 35-yard touchdown pass to fullback Jerrell Mabry and a 60-yard non-scoring pass to wide receiver Lance Leggett. Quarterback Kyle Wright threw for two touchdowns-a five-yard pass to wide receiver Brian McNeil and a 10-yard pass to Leggett. Wright was picked off twice by safties Lovon Poner and Kenny Phillips.

Kicker Daren Daly connected on a 25-yard and a 45-yard field goal, while kicker Matt Bosher connected on a 25-yard field goal.

Info compiled from hurricanesports.com.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...