Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball: Bye-bye Clemente, bye-bye Gilbert

University of Miami men’s basketball Head Coach Frank Haith recently announced that freshman forward Lawrence Gilbert and sophomore guard Denis Clemente will not return to the program next season.

Before being shut down for the season for violating team policy, Clemente was an integral part of the backcourt. Clemente, who started in 15 of the 27 games he appeared in, averaged 9.8 points and 3.3 assists per game. Gilbert, who appeared in 20 games, averaged 1.5 points and 1.3 rebounds per game.

Both have been granted a leave to transfer.

Golf: Prats shines at USF/Waterlefe Invite

University of Miami senior Tiffany Prats displayed an impressive three-day showing at the USF/Waterlefe Invite. Prats put together a three round total 225, which left her at a respectable nine over par, allowing her to finish second at the event.

The Hurricanes to finished in eighth place.

Helping to the cause were junior Hagen Weintraub, who tied for 28th; junior Jessica Steward, who tied for 38th; senior Josie Shinn, who tied for 47th; and sophomore Annabelle Paulino, who finished 76th.

Football: Spring cleaning

The University of Miami football program recently hosted its first spring scrimmage, giving fans a look at what might be brewing for next season.

“This was just the first scrimmage,” Head Coach Randy Shannon said. “We don’t want to be ready to go or be in tip-top shape until the first game. And we want to play our beat game the last part of the season, so we’re on a steady move going forward. Guys are doing a good job, but we need to improve a lot. The defense did a lot of good things, and a couple of running backs made some nice runs, but now we have to finish it.”

In the scrimmage, fans saw quarterback Kirby Freeman throw a 35-yard touchdown pass to fullback Jerrell Mabry and a 60-yard non-scoring pass to wide receiver Lance Leggett. Quarterback Kyle Wright threw for two touchdowns-a five-yard pass to wide receiver Brian McNeil and a 10-yard pass to Leggett. Wright was picked off twice by safties Lovon Poner and Kenny Phillips.

Kicker Daren Daly connected on a 25-yard and a 45-yard field goal, while kicker Matt Bosher connected on a 25-yard field goal.

Info compiled from hurricanesports.com.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...