Senate bill seeks more student involvement in decision-making

The Student Government Senate voted to pass an amendment to an administration committee policy that the senators hope will strengthen the relationship between the SG and UM’s administration.

The bill points out three instances where UM’s administration did not involve SG in the decision-making process: deferment of Greek freshman recruitment (which affects the National Panhellenic Council and the Interfraternity Council), an attempt to cancel the Halloween Ibis Shuttle Ride and the formation of a committee to revise the Students Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.

The resolution calls for the appointment of at least one SG representative to “all present and future ad hoc committees and task forces that affect the student body to ensure that the student voice is represented in all matters pertaining to it.”

The bill passed 31-4 and is awaiting the signature of SG President Annette Ponnock and Patricia Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs.

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...