Senate bill seeks more student involvement in decision-making

The Student Government Senate voted to pass an amendment to an administration committee policy that the senators hope will strengthen the relationship between the SG and UM’s administration.

The bill points out three instances where UM’s administration did not involve SG in the decision-making process: deferment of Greek freshman recruitment (which affects the National Panhellenic Council and the Interfraternity Council), an attempt to cancel the Halloween Ibis Shuttle Ride and the formation of a committee to revise the Students Rights and Responsibilities Handbook.

The resolution calls for the appointment of at least one SG representative to “all present and future ad hoc committees and task forces that affect the student body to ensure that the student voice is represented in all matters pertaining to it.”

The bill passed 31-4 and is awaiting the signature of SG President Annette Ponnock and Patricia Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs.

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...