News Briefs

UMNews

Miller director performs first test for heart attack treatment

Joshua Hare, chief of the Division of Cardiology and director of the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute at the Miller School of Medicine, recently conducted the first human clinical trial to test a stem cell based treatment for heart attacks.

Fifty-three patients participated in the heart attack study and findings were presented to the American College of Cardiology’s Innovation in Intervention: i2 Summit in New Orleans.

Hare found that the stem he used, known as mesenchymal stem cells, have a range of advantages. Some advantages include that they can be taken from genetically distinct donors, they are easy to prepare and they tend to collect in areas injured by cardiac failure.

With 700,000 Americans expected to suffer from a heart attack over the following year, Hare hopes that the use of stem cells can be used to prevent or revere the damage caused by cardiac damage.

“This trial offers a distinct advancement in the field of stem cell-based treatments by providing safety and efficacy data for a unique and promising type of stem cell to treat cardiac damage,” he said.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...