Women’s Tennis: Women’s tennis drops first contest of conference play against GA Tech

The sixth-ranked Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets handed the ninth-ranked University of Miami women’s tennis team its first ACC loss of the season on Saturday. The ‘Canes were defeated 5-2 in a contest between top-ten ranked schools at the Bill Moore Tennis Center in Atlanta, GA.

The defeat drops the ‘Canes to 12-3 overall and 3-1 in ACC play, while Georgia Tech moves its record to 12-4 and 3-1.

In doubles play, UM was pushed to the brink before it secured two out of three matches.

The doubles team of juniors Audra Cohen and Caren Seenauth, ranked 24th nationally, outlasted Georgia Tech’s Amanda Craddock and Alison Silverio 9-7 to secure a victory at the No.2 spot.

At the No.1 doubles position, eighth-ranked duo Kristi Miller and Whitney McCray torched senior Audrey Banada and junior Romy Farah 8-3.

UM’s Gina Sabatino and freshman Laura Vallverdu then defeated Tarryn Rudman and Kristen Flower of Georgia Tech 8-4 at the No.3 spot for the deciding point. This was the first time that Sabatino, a junior, and Vallverdu played together this season.

Though UM’s Cohen, who is ranked No.1 in the country in singles play and has had 18 straight wins, upended Georgia Tech’s Miller quite handily in two straight sets (6-4, 6-2) at the No.1 slot.

The Lady Yellow Jackets went on to capture the rest of the five singles matches.

At the No. 4 spot, GT’s Amanda McDowell defeated Miami’s Sabatino in straight sets 6-2, 6-2.

GT’s Craddock outperformed Farah 6-3, 6-1 at the No.3 singles position, while Rudman bested UM freshman Claudia Wasilewski 6-3, 6-2 at the No.6 position.

At the No.5 slot, Christy Striplin won 6-4, 6-2 against Miami’s Seenauth.

The Yellow Jackets’ Silverio narrowly escaped with a victory at the No.3 position over Banada, who is ranked 38th nationally.

After losing the first set 6-2, Banada roared back in the second set to win 6-7 (8-10). But in the final set, Silverio outlasted Banada’s rally to secure the win 1-0 (14-12).

Victor R. Rodriguez may be contacted at v.rodriguez18@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...