Freshman Survival 102: A very bad Spring Break

Every year, college kids across the nation flock to exotic places like Cancun, Europe, and Booze Cruises around the Caribbean. These exotic trips don’t usually pay for themselves, and if you don’t have your parents to fork over the Almighty Dollar, your plans for Spring Break might become limited.

Such was the case with yours truly, who was forced to pack her bags and head not 520 miles southwest to unlimited drinking, but 30 miles north, to unlimited babysitting and parental supervision. So what is there to do for ten days when you have a fund of $0 dollars and a curfew? Well, some fun-filled activities that I engaged in included:

1.) Waking up at 3 p.m. every single day excluding a Saturday, where it was 4 p.m. The reason for waking up late was not due to a hangover from one too many body shots the night before, but from a Fresh Prince of Bel Air marathon on Nick at Nite.

2.) Reading gossip magazines like “US weekly”, “Life & Style” or the people section of “Time”, until I became an expert at matching the celebrity mom to her baby. My boyfriend became an expert at “Style Watch: Who wears it better? Chelsea Clinton vs. Jennifer Lopez.” Hmm, tough one.

3.) On an outing to Spring Break Central, also known as South Beach, via the “S” bus, I witnessed every mother’s worst nightmare and every son’s ultimate fantasy: girls in string bikinis rubbing baby oil over each other, to be well rewarded for their services later by a famous Miami-based porn site creator (best known for classy sites such as 8thstreetlatinas.com). Everyone enjoyed themselves immensely, particularly a sward of pale gentlemen presumably from the north, who immediately whipped out their camera phones and went crazy.

4.) Volunteering at the Hispanic version of Oktoberfest, which had Pi

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...