Radio-friendly songs detract from sound

The alienating, yet playful Modest Mouse have always adhered to a few characteristics, in my opinion, such as playing like it’s their last chance and never letting anyone (in this case, fans and critics) catch on. Both distinctions give the band an intriguing aura and at the same time leave their music inaccessible to the masses. “We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank,” the band’s fifth album, is nothing if not in keeping with this tradition of subversive, yet interestingly atypical music.

Much in the vein of “Good News for People Who Like Bad News” and “The Moon & Antarctica” (although not as good as either of those two albums), “We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank” takes what would appear to be traditional pop melodies and tears them apart until their coarse, ugly and refreshingly original. Lead singer/songwriter Isaac Brock has made a career out of being vague and morose, particularly with his throaty, overly theatrical voice and unpolished lyrics that sound like they were conceived in a philosophy class.

Songs like “Florida,” “We’ve Got Everything” and the single “Dashboard” are familiar sounding and rather radio-friendly, while songs like “Little Motel,” “Missed The Boat” and “People as Places as People” have a sophistication that adds some new layers to the Modest Mouse mix. “Little Motel” in particular is rather consistent and clean for a band like this, but it’s a welcomed inclusion, being that it’s the best song on the album.

While the album is far from perfect, it never feels trivial or deliberate in its aberrant approach, and it transcends enough indie band clich

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...