Radio-friendly songs detract from sound

The alienating, yet playful Modest Mouse have always adhered to a few characteristics, in my opinion, such as playing like it’s their last chance and never letting anyone (in this case, fans and critics) catch on. Both distinctions give the band an intriguing aura and at the same time leave their music inaccessible to the masses. “We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank,” the band’s fifth album, is nothing if not in keeping with this tradition of subversive, yet interestingly atypical music.

Much in the vein of “Good News for People Who Like Bad News” and “The Moon & Antarctica” (although not as good as either of those two albums), “We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank” takes what would appear to be traditional pop melodies and tears them apart until their coarse, ugly and refreshingly original. Lead singer/songwriter Isaac Brock has made a career out of being vague and morose, particularly with his throaty, overly theatrical voice and unpolished lyrics that sound like they were conceived in a philosophy class.

Songs like “Florida,” “We’ve Got Everything” and the single “Dashboard” are familiar sounding and rather radio-friendly, while songs like “Little Motel,” “Missed The Boat” and “People as Places as People” have a sophistication that adds some new layers to the Modest Mouse mix. “Little Motel” in particular is rather consistent and clean for a band like this, but it’s a welcomed inclusion, being that it’s the best song on the album.

While the album is far from perfect, it never feels trivial or deliberate in its aberrant approach, and it transcends enough indie band clich

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...

The University of Miami baseball team will host visiting Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginnin ...

Johnson, Mack and McGusty join Hurricanes' program for 2018-19 season. ...

Kasey Crider was named Miami volleyball's associate head coach after three seasons on head coac ...