Pres. Shalala appointed to government commission

President George W. Bush named University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala co-chair of a commission to investigate problems at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, along with former Senator Bob Dole. The announcement was made Tuesday.

“I am truly honored that President Bush has asked Senator Bob Dole and me to co-chair the commission that will review the care and services provided to our returning wounded service members,” Shalala said in a email statement issued by UM Media Relations.

The Commission on Care for America’s Returning Wounded Warriors will also examine whether similar problems exist at other military and veterans hospitals.

“The healthcare system for soldiers has to be a perfectly rung system,” Shalala said. “We’re going to look at that whole system, and that is the assignment from the President.”

In February, The Washington Post reported on substandard conditions and a confusing bureaucracy for troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan at an outpatient facility at Walter Reed, according to an article from CNN.com.

Shalala said that the healthcare system in the U.S. is very fragmented and the military hospital system must take some of the responsibility.

“We all owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to our fellow Americans who are serving our country in some of the most dangerous parts of the world,” Shalala’s statement said.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...