Pres. Shalala appointed to government commission

President George W. Bush named University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala co-chair of a commission to investigate problems at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, along with former Senator Bob Dole. The announcement was made Tuesday.

“I am truly honored that President Bush has asked Senator Bob Dole and me to co-chair the commission that will review the care and services provided to our returning wounded service members,” Shalala said in a email statement issued by UM Media Relations.

The Commission on Care for America’s Returning Wounded Warriors will also examine whether similar problems exist at other military and veterans hospitals.

“The healthcare system for soldiers has to be a perfectly rung system,” Shalala said. “We’re going to look at that whole system, and that is the assignment from the President.”

In February, The Washington Post reported on substandard conditions and a confusing bureaucracy for troops returning from Iraq and Afghanistan at an outpatient facility at Walter Reed, according to an article from CNN.com.

Shalala said that the healthcare system in the U.S. is very fragmented and the military hospital system must take some of the responsibility.

“We all owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to our fellow Americans who are serving our country in some of the most dangerous parts of the world,” Shalala’s statement said.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...