News Briefs

UMNews

Hurricane athletics launches fundraising program

The University of Miami athletics department has announced its new fundraising initiative, “Sprint for Hurricane Athletics.”

The campaign seeks to raise more than $70 million over the next three years. Money raised from the campaign is expected to transform the athletic program through the creation of new scholarships, construction and renovation of athletic facilities and the expansion of the program’s endowment and annual giving.

“We’ve prioritized our needs very carefully and strategically, and it’s important that we provide our student-athletes with the support and facilities that are comparable to-or better than-what they would be offered at other colleges and universities,” Sergio M. Gonzalez, vice president for university advancement and head of the campaign, was quoted as saying in a press release.

The three-year “Sprint” program is a part of the university’s “Momentum” campaign and has a six-month objective of $20 million.

Goals of the campaign include: a renovated training room and medical facility; funds to complete the renovation of Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field; renovations to the Schiff Tennis Center and Cobb Stadium; and a new football equipment facility.

ELSEWhere

New York pushing for early presidential primary

JANE AHN // CORNELL DAILY SUN (CORNELL U.)

(U-WIRE) ITHACA, N.Y. – New York has recently joined a slew of states pushing for an early 2008 presidential primary.

Both Democrats and Republicans have been discussing plans to move their presidential primary up by one month, from Mar. 4 to Feb. 5.

New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer’s (D) spokeswoman Christine Anderson told the Associated Press that the governor is still reviewing the idea of changing state law to advance the state’s primary. Legislative leaders of both parties, however, support the move.

The delegate selection process for the 2008 presidential election will begin with the Jan. 14 Iowa caucus, followed by the Nevada caucus on Jan. 19, the New Hampshire primary on Jan. 22, and the South Carolina primary on Jan. 29. Under the Democratic National Committee’s approved proposal last year to implement changes in the 2008 primary calendar, the earliest possible primary for all other states is Feb. 5.

Alabama, Delaware, Missouri, New Jersey, Oklahoma and Utah have already established Feb. 5 as their primary date. In addition to New York, three other large electoral states-California, Florida and Illinois-have also made clear the likelihood of advancing their presidential primaries.

In response to the constant talks of primary calendar compression and in trying to uphold its traditional status as the location of the nation’s first primary, New Hampshire officials told the New York Times that they will schedule their primary as early as necessary, perhaps even before Jan.1 nomination.

ETC.

Applications for the Gandhi Day of Service 2007 executive board are now available in UC room 240. Completed applications must be submitted by Monday, March 19 at 5 p.m. Applicants must also sign up for an interview time.

Interested in getting involved in Student Government? Applications for the seven open Senate seats are available in the SG office (UC 214) and are due by Wednesday, March 21 in Speaker Pro Tempore Brandon Gross’s mailbox. Applicants must also sign up for an interview time.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...