Mahoney basement intruder sets off fire alarm

No actual fire broke out in Mahoney Residential College shortly after 3:30 a.m. Thursday morning, but someone did illegally break in to the boiler room, according University of Miami Police.

Lt. Bill Gerlach of the UMPD said that an unknown person or persons entered the room, located in the Mahoney basement, opened doors and tampered with some of the valves.

The suspect then pulled the alarm and tried to use the fire extinguisher.

When the Coral Gables Fire Department arrived they found there was no fire. Two fire trucks and one other vehicle responded, along with at least four UM and Coral Gables police squad cars.

Being awoken by the alarm, students slowly left the building, unsure of whether it was a real fire or not. They initially stood close to the entrances, but were then moved back further to a safe distance.

The Mahoney-Pearson dining hall was opened for students as a place to sit down and take refuge from the chilly morning.

Once the alarm was reset, students were allowed back in, one hour after being evacuated.

The Miami Hurricane contacted Sgt. Javier Bruzos of the Coral Gables Police Department Friday and he said the report is not yet in the system.

Please check back online for any updates.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...