Editorial: The best of the message boards

The Hurricane‘s website, www.themiamihurricane.com (a shameless plug, we know), is ripe with discussions and feedback from our online readers. The print edition of the paper, however, is not. Feedback in the form of letters to the editor are sorely lacking. Maybe this is a sign of the times: if it’s not digital, no one seems to care about it.

Below are a selection of some of the best, and worst, online postings of recent times, un-edited and in their own words, most of which would make great letters as well.

An Opinion column by Alicia Montalvo on R. Kelly and Ashlee Simpson appeared in the Mar. 3 issue of The Hurricane and garnered much response online. A poster whose caps lock key was apparently broken and who went by the name “KELLY ROBERTS” writes:

“WHAT IGNORANT PEOPLE LIKE YOU HAVE YET TO GRASP IS THAT R.KELLY HAS MILLIONS OF FANS THAT LOVE HIM AND DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU WRITE. YOU GUYS OBSESSION WITH HIM IS NOT NORMAL. GOD BLESS R.KELLY AND HIS FAMILY.”

In response to that, an astoundingly more absurd post was made by “ali france”:

“u must be crazy!!! kells is an all time great ,the marvin gaye of our time and u to compare him to this blonde bitch , well go fuck yourself.”

Not all postings on TheMiamiHurricane.com are merely entertaining folly like the above, however. Many are perceptive, intelligent and well written.

In response to a column on Hollywood’s tendency to lean to the left, a poster going by “J” wrote:

“People already know Hollywood’s elite are liberals. However, most people recognize that Hollywood is completely out of touch with the common man and his reality, and thus not much credibility is lent to their political opinions.”

Regarding Bill Clinton coming to campus,”Dee Dee” had this to say about the ticketing process:

“I think it was lame that the ticketing ended at 4pm, totally obliterating night students from even having a chance to get one. I hope my professors enjoy going (of course, they all mysteriously got tickets).”

Also in line with President Clinton’s Convocation speech was this overall assessment by “janice kornas”:

“I was very impressed by the former presidents comments. this is a man who does not sound like a politian but more like a professor speaking to his students. this person is wise beyond his years. i wish he were sitting in the white house making decisions at this time of need.”

Poster “Kellen” was not going to let “janice” off the hook for her spelling, though, quickly responding:

“I hope the spelling in the comment by Janice is not indicative of the overall crowd President Clinton was addressing and the University’s student body.”

Obviously “Kellen” hasn’t read the R. Kelly/Ashlee Simpson message board lately.

Send letters to the editor to letters@themiamihurricane.com or at themiamihurricane.com/letters and see your submissions printed right here, the only place better than online.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...