Commentary: A tough gig

A great deal can be said about the University of Miami men’s basketball team. Most will jump the gun, a little blindly, and say the regular season was an utter failure, as the team finished 11-19 overall and 4-12 in ACC play, leaving them at the bottom of the conference.

Sure, on paper this may be the case, but the Hurricane locker room is not, as such a person would expect, a place marked by failure.

How is this? Well, it is quite simple. The players who have laced it up, night in and night out, are not failures. They have given there all this season, and it is simply their misfortune that the team was desecrated by injuries and suspensions.

Let’s not kid. The team “fell apart.” But, this is only in terms of injuries and suspensions, and does not, by any means, carry over to the players who have given it their all this season.

It is true we have seen the team struggle during portions of the season, but they have always persevered and played through their troubles. Not once has a player come out and said: ‘Man, what do you expect? We’re missing like half the team. So, just get off our backs.’

Instead, on different occasions, we saw different players-whether it be Jack McClinton, Brian Asbury, Dwayne Collins, Anthony Harris, Denis Clemente or Keaton Copeland-rise to the occasion and play beyond everyone’s expectations.

Thus, it is time to step back and take a look at the big picture, the real picture. All year, the Hurricanes have been criticized for not performing. It is time to take a look at the players who have played through the woes and laced it up all season long. They could have packed it up, but they didn’t.

These players deserve praise. These players deserve appreciation. Not only have they showed their abilities, but they have showcased their heart, their unwillingness to quit, their desire to persevere and their respect for the game.

Thus, it is time to stop criticizing the team. No one who is sitting around ragging on the team would have had the will or drive to go through a season like the one this team has gone through, especially when one factors in all of the physical and mental abuse these athletes endure.

Still, they stand tall.

So let’s get behind the team, instead of being an obstacle in their way, and help them become a force to be reckoned with as they enter the ACC Tournament. Let’s rally behind them and give them the credit they deserve.

Every true fan considers himself/herself to be the sixth man of his/her favorite basketball team, so, collectively, let’s become the sixth man of this Hurricane squad, letting them know that for every player they have lost this season, they have gained another “sixth man.”

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...