Think of your safety over Spring Break

Here are some basic tips for personal safety, alcohol safety, and sun, sand & surf safety:

Personal Safety: – Use common sense and intuition; if something looks wrong, something probably is wrong. – Be conscious of your surroundings. – Don’t walk alone if you are in an unfamiliar place. – Never leave a party alone with someone you just met. – Don’t leave valuables in your hotel or motel room. – Carry only as much cash as you need; credit cards and traveler’s checks are safer. – Do not overcrowd elevators; this often causes a malfunction which will cause you to be stuck. – Do not climb on balconies or sit on balcony rails; this can lead to fatal falls. – Use caution when crossing roads, especially if you have been drinking.

Alcohol Safety: – Don’t drink too much; drinking increases the probability of becoming the victim of a sexual assault. – Decide in advance what and how much you will drink. – Plan on how you will refuse drinks once you reach your personal limit. – Watch out for “rape drugs;” never leave your drink unattended and don’t accept open drinks from strangers. – Do not drive if you have had anything to drink – use a designated driver or public transportation. – Should a member of your group become intoxicated, don’t leave that person alone. – If a friend passes out, roll them on their side to prevent choking, and call 911 immediately.

Sun, Sand & Surf Safety: – Avoid prolonged sun exposure during the hottest hours of the day; 11am to 3pm. – You can get a sunburn even if it is cloudy. – Apply sunscreen with a SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of at least 15, paying special attention to the face, nose, ears and shoulders. – Wear a hat and sunglasses with UV (Ultraviolet) protection. – Drink plenty of water, non-carbonated, and non-alcoholic drinks, even if you do not feel thirsty. – Never swim alone, and be aware of ocean rip currents. – Be aware of sunstroke symptoms including hot, dry skin, rapid pulse, and confusion. Further information on spring break safety is available at www.miami.edu/police or through the UMPD Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...