Think of your safety over Spring Break

Here are some basic tips for personal safety, alcohol safety, and sun, sand & surf safety:

Personal Safety: – Use common sense and intuition; if something looks wrong, something probably is wrong. – Be conscious of your surroundings. – Don’t walk alone if you are in an unfamiliar place. – Never leave a party alone with someone you just met. – Don’t leave valuables in your hotel or motel room. – Carry only as much cash as you need; credit cards and traveler’s checks are safer. – Do not overcrowd elevators; this often causes a malfunction which will cause you to be stuck. – Do not climb on balconies or sit on balcony rails; this can lead to fatal falls. – Use caution when crossing roads, especially if you have been drinking.

Alcohol Safety: – Don’t drink too much; drinking increases the probability of becoming the victim of a sexual assault. – Decide in advance what and how much you will drink. – Plan on how you will refuse drinks once you reach your personal limit. – Watch out for “rape drugs;” never leave your drink unattended and don’t accept open drinks from strangers. – Do not drive if you have had anything to drink – use a designated driver or public transportation. – Should a member of your group become intoxicated, don’t leave that person alone. – If a friend passes out, roll them on their side to prevent choking, and call 911 immediately.

Sun, Sand & Surf Safety: – Avoid prolonged sun exposure during the hottest hours of the day; 11am to 3pm. – You can get a sunburn even if it is cloudy. – Apply sunscreen with a SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of at least 15, paying special attention to the face, nose, ears and shoulders. – Wear a hat and sunglasses with UV (Ultraviolet) protection. – Drink plenty of water, non-carbonated, and non-alcoholic drinks, even if you do not feel thirsty. – Never swim alone, and be aware of ocean rip currents. – Be aware of sunstroke symptoms including hot, dry skin, rapid pulse, and confusion. Further information on spring break safety is available at www.miami.edu/police or through the UMPD Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...