Sports Briefs

Women’s Basketball: Hurricanes downed by Georgia Tech

The Miami Hurricanes’ women’s basketball team was downed by the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 66-52 in the first round of the ACC Tournament.

The No. 11 seeded Hurricanes never saw the light of day, as they fell behind from the opening seconds of the game and did not get close to having a lead.

The Hurricanes were led by senior guard Renee Taylor’s 14 points. Guards Maurita Reid and Charmaine Clark helped out with 12 points apiece, but in the end, the No. 5 seeded Yellow Jackets were just too much for the Hurricanes, as Janie Mitchell dialed in for 22 points and 10 rebounds.

The Hurricanes were especially hurt by Georgia Tech’s 34-20 rebounding edge, including 12 offensive rebounds by the Yellow Jackets, and the fact that Georgia Tech got to the charity strike 18 times, while the Hurricanes only garnered five free throw attempts.

Women’s Track: Faluade earns prestigious award

University of Miami senior Brenda Faluade was named the 2007 ACC Indoor Field Most Valuable Performer.

Faluade’s first place performance in the triple jump and second place performance in the long jump at the ACC Indoor Championships allowed her to qualify automatically for the NCAA Championships for the triple jump and provisionally qualify for the long jump.

As a result, Faluade was voted as the 2007 ACC Indoor Field Performer of the Year, as voted on by 12 ACC coaches.

Men’s Tennis: Miami drops ACC opener

The University of Miami men’s tennis team dropped their ACC opener to Florida State 5-2. The loss was the fourth straight for the No. 26 Hurricanes.

The team faced an overall loss in doubles, despite a win from the pair of Luigi D’Agord and Josh Cohen.

As for the singles side of the competition, the Hurricanes could only manage to garner two wins. D’Agord and Vivek Subramanian both fought back to win their matches, after each dropped his respective first set.

“FSU played well today,” Head Coach Mario Rincon said. “We need to do better, but I’m encouraged by the continuing improvement from Vivek.”

The loss drops the Hurricanes to 4-5 on the season and 0-1 in the ACC.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.