Sports Briefs

Women’s Basketball: Hurricanes downed by Georgia Tech

The Miami Hurricanes’ women’s basketball team was downed by the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 66-52 in the first round of the ACC Tournament.

The No. 11 seeded Hurricanes never saw the light of day, as they fell behind from the opening seconds of the game and did not get close to having a lead.

The Hurricanes were led by senior guard Renee Taylor’s 14 points. Guards Maurita Reid and Charmaine Clark helped out with 12 points apiece, but in the end, the No. 5 seeded Yellow Jackets were just too much for the Hurricanes, as Janie Mitchell dialed in for 22 points and 10 rebounds.

The Hurricanes were especially hurt by Georgia Tech’s 34-20 rebounding edge, including 12 offensive rebounds by the Yellow Jackets, and the fact that Georgia Tech got to the charity strike 18 times, while the Hurricanes only garnered five free throw attempts.

Women’s Track: Faluade earns prestigious award

University of Miami senior Brenda Faluade was named the 2007 ACC Indoor Field Most Valuable Performer.

Faluade’s first place performance in the triple jump and second place performance in the long jump at the ACC Indoor Championships allowed her to qualify automatically for the NCAA Championships for the triple jump and provisionally qualify for the long jump.

As a result, Faluade was voted as the 2007 ACC Indoor Field Performer of the Year, as voted on by 12 ACC coaches.

Men’s Tennis: Miami drops ACC opener

The University of Miami men’s tennis team dropped their ACC opener to Florida State 5-2. The loss was the fourth straight for the No. 26 Hurricanes.

The team faced an overall loss in doubles, despite a win from the pair of Luigi D’Agord and Josh Cohen.

As for the singles side of the competition, the Hurricanes could only manage to garner two wins. D’Agord and Vivek Subramanian both fought back to win their matches, after each dropped his respective first set.

“FSU played well today,” Head Coach Mario Rincon said. “We need to do better, but I’m encouraged by the continuing improvement from Vivek.”

The loss drops the Hurricanes to 4-5 on the season and 0-1 in the ACC.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...