Sports Briefs

Women’s Track: Hurricanes have strong showing

The Miami Hurricanes’ women’s track and field team had an impressive showing at the 2007 ACC Indoor Championships. The Hurricanes earned 99 total points, outdone only by Virginia Tech’s 136.

The Hurricanes had many strong performances. The team tallied four first place finishes and five All-ACC honors. Sophomore Viktoria Andonova took first in the women’s high jump, senior Brenda Faluade earned first place in the women’s triple jump, junior Khadija Talley won the women’s weight throw. Senior Amy Seward won the conference title for the long jump.

Additionally, Seward took second place in the pentathlon, Faluade took second in the long jump, freshman Ashley Dukes took second in the 60-meter dash, senior Ginou Etienne won second place in the 400-meters and the Hurricanes earned a second place finish in the 4X400 relay.

Men’s Basketball: Clemente suspended for rest of season

Sophomore guard Denis Clemente was suspended for the remainder of the 2006-2007 season for a violation of team rules.

“Here at the University of Miami we hold our players to certain standards and expect them to abide by policies set by both our university and this basketball program,” Head Coach Frank Haith said. “Denis chose to break those rules and will be held accountable for his actions.”

“It is extremely unfortunate to lose Denis because he has been one of our most consistent players this season and has been one of our best players of late,” Haith said.

Women’s Basketball: Taylor named to All-ACC Second Team

Senior guard Renee Taylor was named to the All-ACC Second Team by the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association.

Taylor, who earned an All-ACC Honorable Mention last year, is one of only 19 Hurricanes to have surpassed the 1,000 point mark for their ‘Cane career.

Taylor’s credentials speak for themselves. She led the ACC in scoring, averaging 18.8 points per game, and in free throw shooting percentage.

Taylor’s accomplishments are money, and she will look to cash in when the No. 11 seeded Hurricanes open ACC Tournament play against the No. 5 seeded Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.

Information compiled from www.hurricanesports.com.

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...