Arrested student Anderson still being held without bond

The 20-year-old University of Miami junior arrested Jan. 24 in connection with the sexual battery and burglary reported in Pearson a week earlier was denied bond after appearing in court Feb. 24, WFOR channel 4 reported.

A taped confession by Michael Anthony Anderson, a junior majoring in music and pre-medicine, was played during last Friday’s hearing. On the tape, he admits to sexually fondling a woman on his floor in Pearson.

The tape also offered more insight into what happened; particularly, Anderson admitted that he was under the influence of alcohol at the time.

“The alcohol is not an excuse,” he told police. “I still did it and I’m sorry I did it. If I could take it back I definitely would.”

He pled not guilty on Jan. 29, according to the Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts website.

CBS4 reported that Anderson’s defense will ask for his release. Stephen Goldstein, Anderson’s attorney, confirmed this when he told The Miami Hurricane Wednesday he believes his client should be released on bond.

However, Judge Diane Ward denied bond for Anderson Friday, saying she would not allow for him to stay with him parents in Nashville.

“That’s fine for the women of South Florida,” she said, “but there are women in Nashville too that I have to worry about.”

The possibility of releasing him to be placed under house arrest in Miami with some form of GPS tracking system was also denied.

Dr. Edward S. Sczechowicz, Jr., a psychologist brought in to evaluate Anderson, told Ward that Anderson is an alcoholic. Sczechowicz declined to comment to The Hurricane Tuesday.

At the time of publication Wednesday night, Anderson’s next hearing was scheduled for March 1.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clearer than ever on Wednesday: Come the Sept. ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...