Sports Briefs

Swimming and Diving: Miami finishes seventh

The Miami Hurricanes swimming and diving team wrapped up the 2007 ACC Championships finishing seventh overall. The event was highlighted by the fact that the Hurricanes swept the men’s and women’s diving competitions for the first time in ACC history.

The competition saw a number of season-best performances from many of Miami’s athletes. Senior Tara Erwin, in the 1650 freestyle, and sophomore Margaret Ravenna, in the 200-yard backstroke, both finished with season-best times, allowing them to finish 13th and 21st respectively. Additionally, junior Capria DeVenuto finished with a season-best time in the 200-yard butterfly, earning her a 20th place finish.

In the platform competitions, Miami’s men’s and women’s divers were able to secure first and second place finishes as well. On the women’s side, senior Heather Bounds finished first while freshman Brittany Viola finished second. On the men’s side, freshman Ruben Ross finished first while senior Derek Starks finished second.

Additionally, Miami’s Jenna Dreyer and Ruben Ross both won the Most Valuable Diver awards in their respective events.

Soccer: ‘Canes keep up academic excellence

Three players from the Hurricane’s 2006 women’s soccer team were named to the 2006 All-ACC Academic Women’s Soccer Team. Student-athletes, who wish to be eligible for consideration, must have earned at least a 3.0 GPA the previous semester and have maintained a 3.0 GPA for her academic career.

Coincidentally all three players who earned the honor were juniors: Midfielders Jessica Gillman and Sheuneen Ta and goaltender Lauren McAdam.

These three athletes join a long list of University of Miami student-athletes who, in the past couple of years, have earned themselves the honor of being named to All-ACC academic teams.

Golf: Hurricanes have three Top-20 finishes

The University of Miami women’s golf team finished in sixth place at the Pap John’s Collegiate Championships. The team’s overall standings were due, in large parts, to three top-20 finishes by three individual players.

Senior Tiffany Prats led the way, finishing tied for seventh overall. She was followed by fellow teammates Jessica Steward and Hagen Weintraub, who finished 11th and 18th respectively.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clearer than ever on Wednesday: Come the Sept. ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...