Frost Ensemble to play Carnegie Hall in March

The Frost School of Music Wind Ensemble will appear at Carnegie Hall on March 29. The 48-student ensemble is performing the world premiere of Wolf Rounds, a work by Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Christopher Rouse.

According to a recent article in Veritas magazine, the student members have clocked hundreds of hours of practice in preparation for their Carnegie Hall debut.

In addition to Rouse’s original piece, the group’s performance also includes works by Bach, Stravinsky, French composer Andre Jolivet and German composer Paul Hindemith.

The performance has been four years in the making, after Rouse was initially contacted by Gary Green, the conductor of the Frost Wind Ensemble.

Green, who is a also professor and the chair of instrumental performance, told Veritas that getting prominent composers to write original pieces for student orchestras can be difficult, but Dean William Hipp of the Frost School made it a priority.

This will be the first time in the 80-year history of the School of Music that a student ensemble has performed at Carnegie Hall.

Veronica Sepe may be contacted at v.sepe@umiami.edu.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...