Frost Ensemble to play Carnegie Hall in March

The Frost School of Music Wind Ensemble will appear at Carnegie Hall on March 29. The 48-student ensemble is performing the world premiere of Wolf Rounds, a work by Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Christopher Rouse.

According to a recent article in Veritas magazine, the student members have clocked hundreds of hours of practice in preparation for their Carnegie Hall debut.

In addition to Rouse’s original piece, the group’s performance also includes works by Bach, Stravinsky, French composer Andre Jolivet and German composer Paul Hindemith.

The performance has been four years in the making, after Rouse was initially contacted by Gary Green, the conductor of the Frost Wind Ensemble.

Green, who is a also professor and the chair of instrumental performance, told Veritas that getting prominent composers to write original pieces for student orchestras can be difficult, but Dean William Hipp of the Frost School made it a priority.

This will be the first time in the 80-year history of the School of Music that a student ensemble has performed at Carnegie Hall.

Veronica Sepe may be contacted at v.sepe@umiami.edu.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...