Ethics Society Debate Team wins national championship

The University of Miami has another national championship to add to its collection-only this time, it’s in ethics.

UM’s Ethics Society Debate Team competed against teams from other leading schools at the annual Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl competition in Cincinnati Thursday. After facing Weber State University in the quarter-finals and the U.S. Military Academy in the semi-finals, they met Westminster College for the finals.

“It is an honor and a privilege to bring this home to UM,” said Anita Cava, faculty advisor to the team and associate professor of business law. “I couldn’t be more proud of these students, who competed so well in a field with such renowned institutions. UM certainly made its mark.”

According to the Ethics Bowl website, the Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl models widely acknowledged methods of reasoning in practical and professional ethics.

The debaters argued on cases dealing with affirmative action in South Africa, use of GPS systems to track children and other topics.

“We all feel a healthy mix between amazing jubilation and tired,” Josh Morales, Ethics Society vice president, said.

The national championship win comes after members of the Ethics Society helped organize the Arhst Debate at Sportsfest two weeks ago. Cava said that the team looks forward to engaging the interest of students on campus.

Megan Ondrizek may be contacted at m.ondrizek@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...