Ethics Society Debate Team wins national championship

The University of Miami has another national championship to add to its collection-only this time, it’s in ethics.

UM’s Ethics Society Debate Team competed against teams from other leading schools at the annual Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl competition in Cincinnati Thursday. After facing Weber State University in the quarter-finals and the U.S. Military Academy in the semi-finals, they met Westminster College for the finals.

“It is an honor and a privilege to bring this home to UM,” said Anita Cava, faculty advisor to the team and associate professor of business law. “I couldn’t be more proud of these students, who competed so well in a field with such renowned institutions. UM certainly made its mark.”

According to the Ethics Bowl website, the Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl models widely acknowledged methods of reasoning in practical and professional ethics.

The debaters argued on cases dealing with affirmative action in South Africa, use of GPS systems to track children and other topics.

“We all feel a healthy mix between amazing jubilation and tired,” Josh Morales, Ethics Society vice president, said.

The national championship win comes after members of the Ethics Society helped organize the Arhst Debate at Sportsfest two weeks ago. Cava said that the team looks forward to engaging the interest of students on campus.

Megan Ondrizek may be contacted at m.ondrizek@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...