Sports Briefs

Football: Shannon finishes assembling staff

University of Miami football Head Coach Randy Shannon finished putting together his 2007 coaching staff by hiring Wesley McGriff as the secondary coach, and former Hurricane Micheal Barrow as the linebackers coach.

McGriff comes to the Hurricanes after having spent the last couple of weeks as a coach on the Kansas State staff and four years at Baylor. McGriff has served as a cornerbacks coach and as a recruiting coordinator, and he was considered one of the Big 12’s top recruiters.

Barrow, on the other hand, is an alum. He played as a middle linebacker for the school from 1989-1992. In his tenure as a ‘Cane, Barrow won two national titles, was voted an All-American in 1992, was a Butkus Award runner-up, was seventh in the 1992 Heisman Trophy voting, was the third all-time tackler in school history and was a Big East Defensive Player of the Year. On top of this, Barrow also played for 13 seasons in the NFL.

With the coaching staff now complete and recruiting for this season coming to a close, the team and coaches can focus on the spring football schedule.

Women’s Basketball: Miami unable to defeat No. 2 UNC

The Miami Hurricane’s women’s basketball team was unable to defeat the No. 2 University of North Carolina Tar Heels, losing 93-70.

Despite a 28-point, nine rebound, five steal effort from Maurita Reid and a strong second-half, where the Hurricanes outscored the Tar Heels 46-41, the Hurricanes were unable to faze the Lady Tar Heels.

The loss drops the Hurricanes to 11-17 on the season and 2-11 in ACC play.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...