Sneak peak for almost free films

Each year, as the temperature drops across the country, film studios work tirelessly to put their prestige pictures in the best position to draw award nominations and make money off the attention these films receive. Each year, also around this time, I begin to receive red envelopes from Netflix for free. The films that are sent are nominees for the Independent Spirit Awards, and as a member of Film Independent, I receive a ballot and cast my vote.

The Independent Spirit Awards has been around for 20 years. It is a signature program of Film Independent, a non-profit organization that strives to provide resources for independent filmmakers. According to their website, “6,300 members have access to discounted equipment, editing suites, casting rooms, a valuable resource library, over 120 free screenings and 150 educational events every year.”

In addition to the awards, Film Independent also produces the Los Angeles Film Festival, which draws over 100,000 attendees per year. Past festival films include: “Little Miss Sunshine,” “The Devil Wears Prada,” “An Inconvenient Truth” and “Fahrenheit 9/11.”

This is my second year voting in the Spirit Awards. Last year’s ballot included “Brokeback Mountain,” “Capote,” “Crash” and “Hustle & Flow.” Once the nominees are announced around the first of January, members get a code and use their membership number to get a free subscription to Netflix. All the nominees are available on DVD, though many are not commercially released or released in American theatres. For example, one of the films nominated this year, an Oscar-nominated German film named “The Lives of Others” was available in January on Netflix but was not released in the US until Feb. 9.

Film Independent is a great way to link aspiring filmmakers to the film community for a low membership fee. The awards are also a great outlet for independent films which are not propped up by massive marketing campaigns or are unable to open on 3,000 screens. Aside from “The Lives of Others” (which is one of the best films of the year), the standout nominees include “Old Joy,” “The Dead Girl” and “A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints.” Three other wonderful films that received nominations but I had already seen were “Little Miss Sunshine,” “Half Nelson” and “Pan’s Labyrinth.”

Anyone who loves film should take a look at Film Independent. Even if they find that not all the benefits fit their needs, they may still discover a few gems hidden under the glut of mainstream cinema.

For more information, go to http://www.filmindependent.org/.

Gabe Habash can be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...