Hugh Grant’s comeback as an 1980s pop singer worth the cash

Maybe I’m just a sucker for a charming British accent, but I just couldn’t get enough of Hugh Grant’s witty one-liners and adorably dorky dance moves in his new movie, “Music and Lyrics,” also starring Drew Barrymore.

Grant plays Alex Fletcher, a has-been from a fictional 1980s boy band Pop, who now spends his days performing at amusement parks and high school reunions. An opportunity arises for a career comeback when wildly popular, Britney (pre K-Fed)-esqe superstar, Cora Corman, asks him to write a hit song for her. Problem is, he hasn’t been able to write a good song since Pop split up, taking his lyricist to a top solo career as he drifted along on the bottom.

Luckily, his quirky plant lady, Sophie Fisher (Barrymore) has a way with words and agrees to help. Somewhat predictable (as most romantic comedies tend to be), they wind up falling for each other; fine until they have conflicting opinions about the artistic liberties Cora’s taken to sex-up their sweet ballad. Now Alex must win Sophie back so they can continue making beautiful music together.

“Music and Lyrics” is by no means the greatest movie ever made, but it is certainly a good time. Cheesy in all the right places and good ol’ fun in all the others; you’re sure to find yourself humming the catchy tunes all the way home or maybe even singing along during the show. And it’s worth the $7.50 just to see Grant with fluffy 1980s hair, gyrating his pelvis in skin-tight jeans.

Barrymore isn’t quite as entertaining; her performance is fine, charmingly flakey, although personally I find her acting a bit awkward. Grant gets more laughs, he’s sarcastic and sweet, but the chemistry between the two falls flat-somehow it’s not believable that they’re a natural pair. And while Haley Bennet’s platinum hair and leggy figure will likely propel her into the limelight with starlets like La Lohan and Mischa Barton, her performance as pop princess Cora Corman is even more unnatural, somewhat stiff and robotic (although part of that is the character’s bazaar personality).

Overall “Music and Lyrics” is an endearing film about unexpected romance. It’s a lovely date movie-funny enough for the men, yummy enough (i.e. Grant’s backside) for the women. If you’ve had enough of lackluster performances and snide remarks from a less-endearing Brit on American Idol, then get off your couch and get your fix of sappy pop goodness with “Music and Lyrics.”

Dani can be contacted at d.mcnally@umiami.edu.

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...