Suspect arrested in case of stolen bronze plaques

Police charged a 49-year-old man in connection to the “bronze bandit” case last Friday, according to an article published in The Miami Herald Sunday.

Coral Gables police believe the suspect, Gregory Brian Wilson, is responsible for nabbing several bronze plaques and letters from buildings throughout Coral Gables during the past six months.

More than a dozen bronze plaques throughout the city have been stolen. One of the victims of swiped bronze is the University of Miami.

Ofc. Frank Jackson of the CGPD said that two bronze plaques were stolen from UM buildings. One plaque decorated the Neil Schiff Tennis Center; the other was stolen from the Plumer Building on Ponce de Leon Boulevard.

Margot Winick, executive director of media relations for the university, said that the case is not a university matter and the university has not been involved in the investigation.

Police said that when arrested last Friday, Wilson told them he was having financial difficulties. The Herald also reported that before being arrested Friday, police said Wilson was out on bond from a previous arrest for writing bad checks.

The Miami-Dade Clerk of Courts website lists six cases in total, including the latest charge, brought against Wilson in county court.

The burglary at the Plumer Building was caught on surveillance video and highly played on television news broadcasts. Someone who saw the video and recognized Wilson notified CGPD.

Wilson is being held on burglary and grand theft charges for removing a plaque from the Plumer Building and is the prime suspect in seven other bronze thefts.

Megan Ondrizek may be contacted at m.ondrizek@umiami.edu.

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...

A ninth-inning solo home from Pittsburgh proved the difference Friday night, as Miami dropped the se ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Straight-set victories at the top four singles positions brought the University of Miami men's ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...