Sports Briefs

Football

Eight Hurricanes make ACC Academic Team

Hurricane football can be proud of its eight 2006 ACC Academic Football Team selections. They earn UM the honor of leading the ACC for most conference selections to the team.

To be eligible for the honor, a player must maintain a 3.0 GPA during his academic career or earn a 3.0 during the 2006 fall semester.

The players who earned the honor are guard Andrew Bain, offensive tackle Jason Fox, tight end Greg Olsen, place kicker Jon Peattie, safety Kenny Phillips, linebacker Darryl Sharpton, wide receiver Sam Shields and center Anthony Wollschlager.

Men’s Tennis

Hurricanes down UCF 6-1

The University of Miami Hurricanes recently downed the University of Central Florida Golden Knights 6-1.

Miami came away winning five of their six singles matches, as Luigi D’Agord, Daniel Vallverdu, Josh Cohen, Vivek Subramanian and J.C. Whitner all came away with victories.

Additionally, the Hurricanes won two of three doubles matches, as the pairs of D’Agord and Cohen and Hector Nieto and Barnabas Carrega both came away with wins.

With the win, Miami improves to 4-1.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...