News Briefs

UMNews

Architecture School receives medal for urbanism contributions

The Congress for the New Urbanism Florida Chapter awarded the School of Architecture with the John Nolen Medal for Contributions to Urbanism in Florida. Dean Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk received the award on behalf of the university in January.

As the highest honor awarded by the CNU Florida Chapter, the medal recognizes the outstanding effort by the School of Architecture in furthering New Urbanism work in Florida.

Architecture programs including Suburb and Town Design, Knight Program in Community Building, and Center for Urban and Community Design have all advanced community building throughout Florida and the United States.

The Nolen medal is named after John Nolen, a pioneering town planner of the early twentieth century.

Nolen planned the Florida cities of Venice, Sarasota and West Palm Beach.

ELSEWhere

Harvard officially names Faust as president

Paras D. Bhayani & Claire M. Guehenno // Harvard Crimson (Harvard)

(U-WIRE) CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Drew Gilpin Faust was unanimously confirmed as Harvard’s first female president Sunday by the alumni Board of Overseers, setting the stage for her to become the 28th leader of the University when she takes office on July 1.

A veteran academic and Civil War historian who has led the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study since 2001, Faust was offered the presidency earlier this week by the six fellows of the Harvard Corporation, the University’s executive governing body. She has been widely praised for her strong interpersonal skills and familiarity with Harvard’s schools, and for skillfully transforming Radcliffe into a sought-after hub of academic fellowships.

At her first press conference Sunday afternoon, Faust appeared excited and energetic, saying that her appointment would have been unthinkable a generation ago.

“I’m not the woman president of Harvard. I’m the president of Harvard,” she said during a press conference at the Barker Center.

Yesterday’s official confirmation, coming three days after “The Crimson” first reported that the committee had selected Faust, wraps up a presidential search that lasted nearly one year. Her predecessor, Lawrence H. Summers, announced his resignation from the presidency on Feb. 21, 2006, amid clashes with faculty.

“I love universities and I love this one in particular,” she said. “I can imagine no higher calling, no more exciting adventure than to serve as the president of Harvard.”

She received a kiss on the cheek from James R. Houghton ’58, the senior fellow of the Corporation, before answering questions.

Houghton said it was a “great and historic day for Harvard” and that Faust “has interests that extend to the whole of the University.”

“The fact that she is a woman is great,” Houghton told “The Crimson” before his remarks. “But I think we have the best candidate.”

Faust said that though the presidency will likely prevent her from doing scholarly work, she hopes to continue to teach her conference course this spring on the Civil War. She will focus the next few months on filling soon-to-be vacant deanships at different schools in the university.

ETC.

Nomination forms for the 2007 Celebration of Involvement are available in the Butler Center for Service and Leadership in UC 240. The Celebration of Involvement recognizes students who have demonstrated outstanding service, leadership and involvement. All nominations must be submitted by March 1.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...