Football: Putting the pieces together

Reports out of the Hurricane camp indicate that Head Coach Randy Shannon will soon name secondary coach Tim Walton the new defensive coordinator.

Walton has spent the last three seasons with the Hurricanes, in which he has proven to be one of the nation’s top defensive back coaches in the country. During his tenure, Walton has helped produce three All-Americans and two Freshman All-Americans, and he has helped the Hurricane secondary remain one of the nation’s top pass defenses. Additionally, in 2005 Walton helped the Hurricanes become the nation’s top pass defense.

Before coming to Miami, Walton was the defensive backs coach for the Louisiana State Tigers, where he helped LSU win a National Title. Before that, he spent a season at Syracuse, two at Memphis and five at Bowling Green. In each tenure, Walton has helped produce one of the nation’s better secondaries.

Besides promoting Walton, the Hurricanes are also expected to add former Hurricane and ex-NFL veteran Micheal Barrow as the team’s linebacker coach. While playing at Miami, Barrow was a standout, All-American linebacker. Additionally, Barrow spent 13 seasons in the NFL. If Barrow is hired as the new linebacker’s coach, the ‘Cane’s coaching staff will be one defensive assistant from being complete.

The announcements of the promotion of Walton, the hiring of Barrow and the naming of the final defensive assistant are expected to come by the end of this week.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...