Sports Briefs

Men’s Track
Scheiner breaks school record

Senior Jonathan Scheiner broke the then-standing University of Miami indoor record for the 5,000 meters. Scheiner recorded a time of 14:52.13 in the 5,000 meters race at the Iowa State Classic, breaking former Hurricane Chris Miller’s record of 14:54.07.

The time was good enough to earn Scheiner16th place overall in the competition.

Men’s Tennis
Miami downs USF

On their way to defeating the University of South Florida 5-2, the No. 11 University of Miami men’s tennis team swept all three doubles matches and won their top four singles matches.

The doubles teams of Luigi D’Agord and Josh Cohen, Daniel Vallverdu and Vivek Subramanian and Hector Nieto and Barnabas Carrega all picked up victories in their matches.

Additionally, D’Agord, Vallverdu, Cohen, and Subramanian all picked up victories in their singles matches, each winning in straight sets.

The win improves the Hurricanes to 3-1 on the season.

Soccer
Hurricanes sign eight

The women’s soccer program announced the signing of eight athletes to National Letter of Intents.

The class includes two-time New Jersey Player of the Year Brittney Steinbruch. Steinbruch, a midfielder/forward, led her team to a state title in 2006 while registering 63 goals and 63 assists in her final three years at Ramapo High School. Joining her is defender Brittney Macdonald, a 2006 NSCAA/Adidas Girls All-American.

The class also includes midfielder/forward Lauren Singer, defender Lauren Kaiser, midfielder Katie Oddo, defender Jill Satterthwaite, midfielder Leigh Van Lear and goalkeeper Kyle Kocarek.

Women’s Tennis
Hurricanes drop to eighth

In the latest ITA Rankings, the Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis team was dropped to eighth, after having been fifth to start the season.

After falling to Northwestern at the USTA/ITA National Indoor Championships, the team went on to beat No. 10 Baylor and finish 2-1 in the competition. The victory against Baylor marked the 100th win for Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews.

The Hurricanes, who currently sit at 4-1, will look to reassert themselves when No. 20 Texas visits Coral Gables on Feb. 16.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...