Men’s Basketball: ‘Canes win by 15, snap seven game losing streak

The Hurricanes (10-15, 3-8 ACC) finally got a win Saturday night, defeating North Carolina State 80-65. The win snapped a seven-game losing streak that had lasted throughout the past month.

The NC State Wolfpack (13-10, 3-7 ACC) lost their second straight game, following a 74-65 loss at Georgia Tech.

Miami’s first home win since Dec. 16 was welcomed by a standing ovation from a sub-par crowd of 3100, a large portion of which were NC State fans.

Guards Jack McClinton and Anthony Harris led the team in scoring with 18 points apiece. Brian Asbury finished with 17 points.

Harris’ play came as a pleasant surprise, considering his struggles in recent games.

“Ant’s a senior,” Head Coach Frank Haith said. “I told him before the game, you’ve only got three more [home games]. Let’s go out with a bang.”

NC State was led by forward Ben McCauley, who finished with 19 points and six rebounds.

The Hurricanes featured four players who scored in double figures, with center Dwayne Collins (nine points and 10 rebounds) coming up just one point short.

A large key for the ‘Canes was their ability to hit jumpers, as a large majority of their shots came from the outside.

Miami shot 46 percent for the game, while shooting 7-of-18 from the three-point line.

Another huge boost for the Hurricanes came from walk-on senior Keaton Copeland. Copeland, who has benefited from the injuries of Miami’s post players, received his eighth start of the season.

He capitalized on his opportunity by grabbing 13 rebounds, nine of which were on offense, in 33 minutes of play.

Copeland finished with more offensive rebounds than NC State’s entire team, which only managed eight collectively. The ‘Canes outrebounded the Wolfpack 42-25.

“When you look at Keaton Copeland getting 13 rebounds, who would’ve thought?” Haith said.

After hearing that NC State’s Head Coach Sidney Lowe said they prepared themselves for Copeland’s rebounding and intensity, Haith joked that they must have confused him for suspended player Raymond Hicks.

“Keaton had a good game today,” Haith said. “I’m proud of him. I don’t even know if he plays 33 minutes in practice sometimes.”

Another key to Miami’s win was their ability to cause turnovers. They finished with seven steals as a team, while NC State had only one.

Now that the Hurricanes have finally snapped their losing streak, they can breathe a collective sigh of relief for getting the proverbial monkey off their backs.

“Our guys can feel good for a week,” Haith said. “We haven’t had this feeling in a long time. I want them to enjoy it, be excited, feel good, and be proud of how well they played.”

The Hurricanes now have a week off until their next contest, which will be Feb. 17 at Wake Forest. The ‘Canes, however, have no intentions of dwelling on this win. They realize that they still have to complete their season competitively.

“A win is a win,” McClinton said. “We’ve got to stay humble and keep moving on.”

Joel Brown may be contacted at

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...