$10 million goes to globalizing School of Comm curriculum

The University of Miami’s School of Communication, along with the president of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, announced the creation of a $10 million center for international media Friday.

The Knight Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting journalism, gave the school a $3.5 million grant. This money, along with $5 million of previously-donated money from the foundation and a $1 million contribution from UM will go towards the new Knight Center for International Media.

Aimed at promoting global and visual journalism, the Knight Center will focus on providing students with cross-cultural communication skills.

“It’s exactly for students to broaden journalism training not only at UM, but internationally,” President Donna E. Shalala told The Miami Hurricane shortly after the announcement.

The principals involved said the money will benefit UM journalism students by providing up-to-date multimedia technology.

Alberto Ibarg

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...