$10 million goes to globalizing School of Comm curriculum

The University of Miami’s School of Communication, along with the president of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, announced the creation of a $10 million center for international media Friday.

The Knight Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting journalism, gave the school a $3.5 million grant. This money, along with $5 million of previously-donated money from the foundation and a $1 million contribution from UM will go towards the new Knight Center for International Media.

Aimed at promoting global and visual journalism, the Knight Center will focus on providing students with cross-cultural communication skills.

“It’s exactly for students to broaden journalism training not only at UM, but internationally,” President Donna E. Shalala told The Miami Hurricane shortly after the announcement.

The principals involved said the money will benefit UM journalism students by providing up-to-date multimedia technology.

Alberto Ibarg

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...