Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball

Hicks suspended indefinitely

Junior forward Raymond Hicks has been suspended indefinitely for violating team rules.

This announcement was made Tuesday morning by men’s basketball Head Coach Frank Haith.

The suspension of Hicks is yet another blow to the Miami frontcourt, as Miami has already lost four frontcourt players to injury.

“Obviously we are very disappointed to lose Ray,” Haith said.

“However, we have certain team rules, and when you make a choice to break those rules, there are consequences.”

Blast From the Past

Curnutt named ACC Legend

In an announcement made on Monday by ACC Commissioner John Swofford, Don Curnutt, a former Hurricane men’s basketball player, was one of the 12 men named as 2007 ACC Basketball Legends.

The 1970 All-American averaged 26.1 points per game in his 77-game career as a Hurricane, and he ranks third all-time on Miami’s scoring list, despite playing during a time when players were only granted three years of eligibility.

Curnutt and the other 11 members will be recognized at the 2007 Men’s ACC Tournament in March.

NFL

Former ‘Canes show off

Former Miami Hurricanes’ wide receiver Reggie Wayne and kick/punt returner Devin Hester were both ‘super’ on Super Sunday. Both helped the Indianapolis Colts and the Chicago Bears, respectively, get off to a good start in the Super Bowl.

Hester became the first player in NFL history to return the opening kickoff, in a Super Bowl, for a touchdown. Hester’s 92-yard scamper was answered by Wayne as he was able to get open for a 53-yard touchdown reception.

The two, through their play, showed the world what “U” get when you draft a player from “The U.”

Men’s Tennis

Team loses first match of season

The No. 10 University of Miami Hurricanes dropped their first match of the season 4-3 against the Wisconsin Badgers.

The team split their singles matches, as Luigi D’Agord, Daniel Vallverdu and Vivek Subramanian all picked up wins. As for doubles, only the pair of D’Agord and Josh Cohen was able to pick up a victory, as both of the other pairs suffered losses.

The loss drops the Hurricanes to 2-1 on the season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...