Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball

Hicks suspended indefinitely

Junior forward Raymond Hicks has been suspended indefinitely for violating team rules.

This announcement was made Tuesday morning by men’s basketball Head Coach Frank Haith.

The suspension of Hicks is yet another blow to the Miami frontcourt, as Miami has already lost four frontcourt players to injury.

“Obviously we are very disappointed to lose Ray,” Haith said.

“However, we have certain team rules, and when you make a choice to break those rules, there are consequences.”

Blast From the Past

Curnutt named ACC Legend

In an announcement made on Monday by ACC Commissioner John Swofford, Don Curnutt, a former Hurricane men’s basketball player, was one of the 12 men named as 2007 ACC Basketball Legends.

The 1970 All-American averaged 26.1 points per game in his 77-game career as a Hurricane, and he ranks third all-time on Miami’s scoring list, despite playing during a time when players were only granted three years of eligibility.

Curnutt and the other 11 members will be recognized at the 2007 Men’s ACC Tournament in March.

NFL

Former ‘Canes show off

Former Miami Hurricanes’ wide receiver Reggie Wayne and kick/punt returner Devin Hester were both ‘super’ on Super Sunday. Both helped the Indianapolis Colts and the Chicago Bears, respectively, get off to a good start in the Super Bowl.

Hester became the first player in NFL history to return the opening kickoff, in a Super Bowl, for a touchdown. Hester’s 92-yard scamper was answered by Wayne as he was able to get open for a 53-yard touchdown reception.

The two, through their play, showed the world what “U” get when you draft a player from “The U.”

Men’s Tennis

Team loses first match of season

The No. 10 University of Miami Hurricanes dropped their first match of the season 4-3 against the Wisconsin Badgers.

The team split their singles matches, as Luigi D’Agord, Daniel Vallverdu and Vivek Subramanian all picked up wins. As for doubles, only the pair of D’Agord and Josh Cohen was able to pick up a victory, as both of the other pairs suffered losses.

The loss drops the Hurricanes to 2-1 on the season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...