No-longer-indie band predictable

With the word “indie” being thrown around more than a table-tennis ball at a college party, it’s difficult to distinguish what an “indie” band is these days. I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve used and still do use the word plenty of times.

If used properly, the word should only be applied to describe a band that’s not affiliated with a major record company, or it can refer to a number of genres or subcultures independent from commercial pop music. So, The Killers and The Strokes are not “indie” bands.

Adding themselves to the list is one-time indie band Copeland from Lakeland, Florida with their recent effort “Eat, Sleep, Repeat”. The tracks shift from a slow to a moderate tempo and don’t really offer anything you can’t get from a Coldplay or Death Cab for Cutie CD.

The album is enjoyable but can put anyone to sleep within the first few minutes of the opening track “Where’s My Head”. “Love Affair,” a piano driven ballad, stands out lyrically and has singer/songwriter Aaron Marsh crooning “Oh she’d lie on her bed/and stare into harsh white light/and think that her heart’s not right”. Other tracks like “Control Freak” offer a bit more edge coming from the electric guitar.

Although this album was recorded with independent label The Militia Group, the success of the band and their strong fan base gave them the opportunity to sign with giant Columbia Records and stripped them from their indie status.

Any fan of The Stills or Death Cab might enjoy this album.

Marcos Col

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...