Bill Clinton to speak at Spring Convocation

After a long-standing invitation from President Donna E. Shalala, the University of Miami confirmed that former President Bill Clinton will speak at the Spring Convocation ceremony on March 1 at 4 p.m. in the BankUnited Center.

Former Vice President Al Gore will speak as a part of the University Lecture Series on Feb. 28 at 6 p.m. in the BUC.

Clinton will address his Global Initiative, a project under the William J. Clinton Foundation meant to motivate leaders.

The Clinton Foundation deals with global interdependence specifically focusing on childhood obesity in the U.S., climate change, global poverty and HIV/AIDS around the world.

Gore’s lecture will also touch on environmental issues. It will resemble the presentation seen in his documentary, “An Inconvenient Truth.”

Shalala, the former president’s secretary of Health and Human Services, also invited Hillary Clinton to be speak on campus. She will most likely come in the fall, along with other presidential contenders.

The Bill Clinton’s event will be open to the entire UM community, but not to the general public.

Information on the ticketing has not yet been announced. Updates will be posted on The Miami Hurricane’s web site, www.themiamihurricane.com.

Greg Linch contributed to this report.

Walyce Almeida may be contacted w.almeida@umiami.edu.

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

The Miami Hurricanes, still waiting for a starting quarterback to be named, are in the top 25 again. ...

Happy first day of school for everyone out there, including the University of Miami students. We jus ...