Women’s Track: Successful season continues in NY

The women’s track team started their season strong, and looked to continue their winning ways at the New Balance Invitational in New York. The meet lasted both Friday and Saturday, with Friday’s qualifiers leading up to Saturday’s finals.

After having four separate first-place finishes at their last invitational, the Hurricanes had high expectations from their trip to New York. Determined not to disappoint, the team came out strong on Friday. Senior Ginou Etienne qualified for the finals in the 400-meter dash with a time of 54.50, which was the sixth fastest of the afternoon.

Meanwhile, freshman standouts Ashley Dukes and Kristy Whyte placed first and second in the 60-meter dash with times of 7.49 and 7.54, respectively.

Dukes has had an excellent first season thus far for Miami. In her first collegiate meet (The Florida Intercollegiate), Dukes placed second in the 55-meter dash with a time of 6.95. At the Clemson Invitational on January 20, she placed first in the 60-meter with a time of 7.54 and third in the 200-meter with a time of 25.0.

On Saturday neither Dukes nor Whyte placed in the 60-meter dash, finishing ninth and thirteenth, respectively. Miami was able to place in the weight throw finals. Junior Khadija Talley placed second with a throw of 65 feet, two and a quarter inches.

The Hurricanes will try to continue their stellar play as they prepare for the Tyson Invitational, which will take place on Feb. 9 and 10 in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joel Brown may be contacted at j.brown22@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...