UMPD Crime Tip: Identity Theft

It is estimated that 900,000 Americans become victims of ID theft each year, and this number is growing. Don’t forget, students are targets too. The US Federal Trade Commission recommends following the 3D approach: Deter, Detect, & Defend. Deter identity thieves by safeguarding your personal information. Keep personal information in a secure place and shred personal documents you no longer need, don’t carry your social security card in your wallet or purse, don’t give personal information over the phone, never click on links sent in unsolicited emails, and don’t use obvious passwords like your birthday. Detect suspicious activity by routinely monitoring your financial accounts and billing statements. This includes checking your credit report on an annual basis, if not more often. Defend against identity theft as soon as you suspect a problem. Contact the Federal Trade Commission or the UM Police Department for information on how to proceed. Awareness is among the most powerful tools in the fight against identity theft. Further information on identity theft and crime prevention is available at www.miami.edu/police, or through the UM Police Crime Prevention Unit at (305) 284-1105.

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...

The University of Miami baseball team will host visiting Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginnin ...

Johnson, Mack and McGusty join Hurricanes' program for 2018-19 season. ...

Kasey Crider was named Miami volleyball's associate head coach after three seasons on head coac ...