Sports Briefs

Football

Hurricanes land major QB prospect

After having had a verbal commitment from Churchill High School quarterback Nick Fanuzzi, he uncommitted from Miami. This allowed Fanuzzi to commit to Alabama.

Coincidentally, Plant Senior High School quarterback Robert Marve had committed to Alabama, but the departure of Head Coach Mike Shula was reason enough for Marve to reassess his future, and as of 4 p.m. on Jan. 31, Alabama was no longer in Marve’s future.

The result: In Marve, Miami lands itself one of this year’s top quarterback recruits. The Tampa, Fla. native and Florida’s “Mr. Football” has given Miami a solid verbal commitment.

Women’s Basketball

Hurricanes drop third in a row

The Miami women’s basketball team charged from 10 down with 1:57 left to play in Thursday’s game, cutting Florida State’s lead to three on a four-point play by sophomore guard LaToya Cunningham, with 23 seconds left to play.

Despite leading by two at the end of the first half and making a major push at the end of the game, the lady Hurricanes were unable to secure their second ACC win of the season.

The loss drops the team to 10-13 (1-7 ACC) on the season.

Women’s Tennis

Hurricanes suffer first loss

The Hurricanes’ women’s tennis team suffered its first loss of the dual season this weekend. The No. 5 Hurricanes fell to No. 8 Northwestern 4-3 in the quarterfinals.

The team bounced back the next day, at the USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships, winning 6-1 against No. 10 Baylor.

On the bright side, Audra Cohen, Laura Vallverdu, and Audrey Banada finished 3-0.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com