Hillary will speak; time TBD

The answer is yes-Hillary Clinton will speak at the University of Miami at some point, particularly if there is an early Florida primary, said President Donna E. Shalala.

Mrs. Clinton is one of many candidates for president in 2008 Shalala would like to speak on campus.

“I hope huge numbers of students will register to vote because that will encourage presidential candidates to come here to the university,” she said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane, adding that she will send out a letter to each candidate once all have filed.

Shalala expects that the visits will begin next fall. Student organizations, such as the College Republicans and Young and College Democrats, will be approached to sponsor the candidates.

“I will not sponsor a candidate,” she said, adding, “I will facilitate the candidates coming and the university will pay any costs associated with a candidate coming here, whether they are a Republican or Democrat, as long as they are a legitimate candidate, just to give the students exposure.”

Shalala recently discussed Mrs. Clinton’s candidacy when she appeared on “The Colbert Report” last week.

“When people ask me who I’m going support in the presidential race, I simply say if Hillary runs, I’m a Hillary person,” Shalala told The Hurricane, adding, “Everybody knows it, it’s not like it’s a surprise.

“Hillary and I have been friends for 30 years, so there’s not a chance that I’m going to support anyone else. I’m not going to be active in the campaign, that’s an inappropriate thing to do, but I’m not going to pretend like I’m not going to support her.”

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...