CBS morning anchor speaks

Harry Smith, the co-anchor of the CBS Early Show, discussed his career and the future of journalism Thursday at the School of Communication Common Gound courtyard.

Smith also took questions from the audience of approximately 120 students and faculty in seats and standing on the second floor walkway. A number of the students took notes for their news writing classes.

A 20-year veteran of CBS, Smith has covered both hard and soft news. Invited by Professor Sam Roberts to speak, Smith was in town for the Super Bowl. He has also covered Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the 2005 London bombings, the aftermath of the Dec. 26, 2005 tsunami and the Iraq war.

During the question and answer session, Smith answered questions about his thoughts on Katie Couric and network nightly news, candidly saying he thinks NBC’s program is doing the best work. Regarding Couric, he told the audience to watch and see her improve over the next few months.

Commenting on the corporate news environment, Smith said it is an uphill battle, with continous pressure to justify the costs.

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...