Upcoming presidential election to see several firsts

Barack Obama, Mitt Romney, Hillary Clinton and Bill Richardson all share something besides a bid for the presidency in 2008-each candidate also represents a possible “first” for the United States of America.

In 1872, Victoria Woodhull was the first female nominated as a presidential candidate on the Equal Rights Party ticket. Now, former first lady Hillary Clinton plans to run on the Democratic ticket as the first major female candidate.

“I think Clinton’s got a strong chance to take it all,” Kevin Bogelansky, a junior, said of the current junior senator from New York. “Everyone knows her face and her policies. Congress is all Democrats now, and I think we’ll get a Democratic president.”

Barack Obama, the junior senator from Illinois, is currently the only African-American in the Senate and hopes to be the first elected president.

In an interview with “Newsweek,” Obama said, “Stereotypes and prejudices still exist in American society, and for the highest office in the land a female or African-American candidate would, at the outset, confront some additional hurdles to show that they were qualified and competent.”

University of Miami students understand the significance that the 2008 election brings in relation to the possibility of running a historical candidate.

“This is going to be a really exciting election,” Erin Schlissel, a sophomore, said. “We could have our first female president or first black president and they are both outstanding.”

Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney plans to run on the Republican Party ticket against fellow Republican front-runners such as John McCain and Rudolph Giuliani, both of which have not yet made a formal announcement as to whether they will run. If elected, Romney would be the first Mormon president.

In addition, Bill Richardson, the governor of New Mexico, has expressed serious interest in running for president in the next election. Richardson not only comes from a battleground state, but would also represent the first Hispanic president.

The 2008 election is still 21 months away, yet already has a long list of candidates. Thus far, 27 people have either officially filed for candidacy with the Federal Election Commission, formed exploratory committees or have expressed interest in running for president from the Democratic and Republican parties alone.

Many UM students have not decided who they might vote for, but have expressed interest in the election.

“I haven’t had the time to research yet, but I do want to,” Stefania Henning, a junior, said. “I’ve heard about [the candidates]on TV, but the media has a lot of control over how people are portrayed. I’ve only heard of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton because that’s what the media has showed me.”

Other students agree that they need more knowledge before making a decision.

“You can’t make a good decision without significant facts,” Kevin Mazzarella, a junior said. “When [the candidates]are not in front of the camera, who are they going to be?”

Besides presenting the electorate with a choice of candidates who represent a multitude of backgrounds, the 2008 election is also the first election in 80 years that will not feature an incumbent president or an incumbent vice president as a candidate.

Furthermore, this could be the first election that breaks campaign fundraising records. Federal Election Commission (FEC) Chairman Michael Toner announced that 2008 will be the most expensive election that America has ever seen. Toner estimated that candidates will have to raise at least $100 million to be taken seriously.

Students interested in learning more about the 2008 election may visit democrats.org or gop.com.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Sophomore Evan McKendry rebounded with a dazzling start, and No. 24 Miami handed No. 1 Florida its f ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...