News Briefs

UMNews

UM’s Teaching and Learning program receives high marks

Academic Analytics’ 2006-2007 ranked the University of Miami School of Education’s Department of Teaching and Learning fourth in this month’s national standing of departments at major research institutions. The fourth place ranking was awarded for research productivity in the field of Teacher Education and Professional Development.

Academic Analytics developed the Faculty Scholarly Productivity Index to evaluate university specializations and departments by both field and discipline. Annual productivity of faculty is measured on various factors including publications, awards and honors and federal research funding.

“Our department of Teaching and Learning has been very productive for many years,” Isaac Prilleltensky, UM’s dean of the School of Education, was quoted as saying. “It is wonderful to see this much deserved recognition.”

ELSEWhere

Higher education fails to prevent memory loss, study says

Matthew Gross // The Daily Vidette (Illinois State U.)

(U-WIRE) NORMAL, Ill. – You may think your time in college is preparing you for later in life, but as a new study shows, we all end up the same in the end.

Published in the latest issue of the “Research and Aging Journal”, the study shows that for all the good higher education does, it does not protect your brain from memory loss later in life.

“Higher education does really good things for you most of your life,” Eileen Crimmins, director of the study, said. “It keeps you healthier and gives you better cognitive functioning, but once you get near the end, it doesn’t preserve it any more.”

The study followed a sample of 10,000 people over the age of 70 from all over the nation. The participants met once every two years for a total of eight years. At each meeting, they were given a set of 10 words and asked to memorize them. Participants were then asked questions on other topics for 10 minutes and were then asked to repeat the 10 words again.

The results showed as the participants entered old age, ages 70 to 90, their ability to remember the words decreased. By the age of 90, the participants with higher education had the same memory ability as those who had none.

“The basic belief of those who thought higher education helped you was that you developed a denser neural network as you were obtaining education,” Crimmins said. “There may be something to that; it’s just that at some level it doesn’t protect you in the end.”

ETC.

Yearbook photos will be taken all week from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. in UC 233. Seniors must make an appointment at www.mcgrathstudios.com, password: IBIS. There is a $25 sitting fee for seniors. The last day to have a photo taken is Feb. 9.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...