‘Spring Awakening’ not original, but at least arousing

While “Rent” is often considered the definitive rock musical-and it is certainly the most successful-others have tried to follow in the hopes of widening the appeal of Broadway to a different audience.

“Spring Awakening’s” catchy soundtrack by Steven Sater (book and lyrics) and Duncan Sheik (music), is undoubtedly moving and certainly melodious, but doesn’t provide much more musical innovation than that of some of its predecessors. The orchestral and rock sounds alternate in a blend that works well, nicely complementing the lyrics.

Based on “The Awakening of Spring,” a drama penned by German playwright Frank Wedekind in 1891, the musical succeeds in relating the themes of rebellion and curiosity by teenagers in repressive social and emotional setting. Love and loss are also skillfully transmitted through the songs.

“Mama Who Bore Me” and its reprise poignantly open the musical, with a mix of acoustic guitar and violin. Such musical accompaniment is also present in the similarly touching “Left Behind.” Notable use of the acoustic guitar is also present in “I Believe,” an uplifting number, in the vein of “Seasons of Love” dealing with forgiveness and love.

Its more upbeat, rock-influenced tracks are powerful displays of youthful energy and dissatisfaction with the status quo. This is apparent in the stand-out song, “The Bitch of Living,” and others such as “My Junk,” “And Then Were None” and “Totally F**ked.”

Besides the powerful rock-infused numbers, more vocally-oriented strong songs also shine. The force of “Whispering” and “Those You’ve Known” draw the listener in and “The Song of Purple Summer” provides for an uplifting finale.

Overall, though it is somewhat thematically different from past rock musicals, “Spring Awakening” is definitely worth a listen.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...