Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis

Team cruises to victory

The No. 11 University of Miami men’s tennis team cruised to victory last Sunday, as they were able to virtually unravel the University of North Florida squad.

The team went 5-1 in singles competition, with Luigi D’Agord, Josh Cohen, Daniel Vallverdu, Hector Nieto and Barnabas Carrega picking up victories. Additionally, all three Hurricanes’ doubles teams were more than a match for the three North Florida doubles teams, which allowed the ‘Canes to sweep the doubles compeition.

The 6-1 victory, to kick off Miami’s dual season, starts Miami at 1-0 for the season.

Women’s Track

‘Canes place 2nd at Clemson Invitational

The Hurricane women’s track and field team finished second overall at the Clemson Invitational. The team earned an overall 93 points, while North Carolina placed first with 124 points.

On their way to a second place finish, the Hurricanes were able to pick up five first-place finishes over the two days of competition. First-place finishes were earned by sophomore Ena Leufroy in the 800-meters, freshman Ashley Dukes in the 60-meters, sophomore Viktoria Andonova in the high jump, senior Amy Seward in the long jump and the group of Leufroy, seniors Danielle Bailey and Ginou Etienne, and sophomore Krista Simkins in the 4X400.

Women’s Basketball

Meier cuts Denson

Women’s basketball Head Coach Katie Meier has granted sophomore center Brittany Denson a release from the team. The release allows Denson to pursue a transfer from the University of Miami.

After having her freshman season cut short due to a torn ACL, Denson has started 16 of 17 games this season, averaging 8.4 points and 6.9 rebounds per game.

“We wish Brittany the best in her basketball future,” Meier said. “I believe the team will make the proper adjustments and positively move forward.”

Information complied from Hurricanesports.com.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...