News Briefs

UMNews

University raises more than $1 million in United Way campaign

The University of Miami’s fundraising effort for the United Way has surpassed the $1 million mark, the most they have ever raised for the campaign. The institution-wide fundraising drive included events such as book and bake sales, auctions and pledges made by faculty and staff.

The total of $1,047,872 is also one of the largest university or college United Way campaigns in the nation.

“This is a phenomenal amount of money, and everyone should be very proud of this incredible achievement,” President Donna E. Shalala said in a press release. “We make the United Way a top priority, and our employees and students always come through.”

Contributions to the campaign stemmed from many sources. The university’s one percent donors, or those who donate one percent or more of their annual income to the United Way, accounted for $450,000 of the campaign total.

UM students also played a role in the campaign’s success, raising $10,000 during the annual Orange Bowl collection as well as volunteering at various United Way agencies.

ELSEWhere

Harvard study suggests cigarette makers increased nicotine

Hayley Sher // The Daily Free Press (Boston U.)

(U-WIRE) BOSTON – A study released last week by the Harvard School of Public Health suggests cigarette companies have intentionally increased nicotine levels in their cigarettes over the past seven years while trying to keep that information from public knowledge.

The study, based on data submitted to the Massachusetts Public Health Department by major cigarette manufacturers, showed an 11 percent increase of nicotine levels in every market category of cigarettes-from menthols to ultra-lights-over the past seven years.

A bill currently before Congress aimed at regulating tobacco products under stricter FDA guidelines “could be the single-most important first step to safeguard the public,” he said.

Patrick Reynolds, president of Foundation For a Smoke-Free America, said the study provides greater motivation for the FDA to intervene in the tobacco industry.

“It’s in the interest of the tobacco industry to keep its customers buying its product,” he said, explaining the necessity for stricter government regulation.

Tobacco company Philip Morris, which is challenging the study’s findings, maintains the nicotine levels for Marlboro cigarettes was the same in 2006 as it was in 1997.

Spokesmen for the company, citing company policy, could not comment on the study beyond the company’s posting.

ETC.

All students with at least 60 credit hours may order their official UM class ring between Jan. 29 and Feb. 2 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the UC Breezeway.

Applications to become a School of Business Peer Counselor or Team Leader are now available. The application is due by Feb. 7 in Merrick 104, where applicants should also sign up for an interview.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...