News Briefs

UMNews

University raises more than $1 million in United Way campaign

The University of Miami’s fundraising effort for the United Way has surpassed the $1 million mark, the most they have ever raised for the campaign. The institution-wide fundraising drive included events such as book and bake sales, auctions and pledges made by faculty and staff.

The total of $1,047,872 is also one of the largest university or college United Way campaigns in the nation.

“This is a phenomenal amount of money, and everyone should be very proud of this incredible achievement,” President Donna E. Shalala said in a press release. “We make the United Way a top priority, and our employees and students always come through.”

Contributions to the campaign stemmed from many sources. The university’s one percent donors, or those who donate one percent or more of their annual income to the United Way, accounted for $450,000 of the campaign total.

UM students also played a role in the campaign’s success, raising $10,000 during the annual Orange Bowl collection as well as volunteering at various United Way agencies.

ELSEWhere

Harvard study suggests cigarette makers increased nicotine

Hayley Sher // The Daily Free Press (Boston U.)

(U-WIRE) BOSTON – A study released last week by the Harvard School of Public Health suggests cigarette companies have intentionally increased nicotine levels in their cigarettes over the past seven years while trying to keep that information from public knowledge.

The study, based on data submitted to the Massachusetts Public Health Department by major cigarette manufacturers, showed an 11 percent increase of nicotine levels in every market category of cigarettes-from menthols to ultra-lights-over the past seven years.

A bill currently before Congress aimed at regulating tobacco products under stricter FDA guidelines “could be the single-most important first step to safeguard the public,” he said.

Patrick Reynolds, president of Foundation For a Smoke-Free America, said the study provides greater motivation for the FDA to intervene in the tobacco industry.

“It’s in the interest of the tobacco industry to keep its customers buying its product,” he said, explaining the necessity for stricter government regulation.

Tobacco company Philip Morris, which is challenging the study’s findings, maintains the nicotine levels for Marlboro cigarettes was the same in 2006 as it was in 1997.

Spokesmen for the company, citing company policy, could not comment on the study beyond the company’s posting.

ETC.

All students with at least 60 credit hours may order their official UM class ring between Jan. 29 and Feb. 2 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the UC Breezeway.

Applications to become a School of Business Peer Counselor or Team Leader are now available. The application is due by Feb. 7 in Merrick 104, where applicants should also sign up for an interview.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...