Dark, twisted fairytale should be left out of kids’ storytime

“Pan’s Labyrinth” is a fairytale for grown-ups. The film, which paints a fairytale-like portrait set against the dreary Civil War in Spain, is certainly a film intended for grown-ups, but in no way does that indicate that the magic of a children’s story is sacrificed.

The visually dazzling movie from Guillermo del Toro (“Hell Boy” and “Blade 2”) is as horrifying as it is mesmerizing.

We come upon our protagonist, the young Ofelia (Ivana Baquero) as she makes the trip with her sickly pregnant mother to a somewhat secluded neighborhood that seems to be deeply buried in an endless forest.

There they are greeted by the savage Captain Vidal (Sergi L

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...