Sports Briefs

Football

UM Football chooses Patrick Nix

Georgia Tech offensive coordinator Patrick Nix resigned his post with the Georgia Tech football team, and he will take over the role as Miami’s new offensive coordinator.

Nix comes to Miami after having served the Yellow Jackets for the past five seasons, including three as the offensive coordinator.

Nix is being brought in to take over a Hurricane offense that has lost its edge in the past few years. Administration, Miami coaches and fans will expect Nix to revive the lackluster Hurricane offense, which will hopefully allow the team to reassert itself as one of the dominant teams in college football.

Women’s Tennis

Starting with a bang

The No. 5 ranked Hurricane women began their dual season with a bang. Despite being without the nation’s No. 1 Audra Cohen and No. 6 Laura Vallverdu, the team’s top two players, the team ended their first day at the FIU Invitational winning three of six singles matches and all three of their doubles matches.

The day was highlighted when No. 56 ranked Miami senior Audrey Banada upset No. 10 ranked Shadisha Robinson of the University of South Florida.

All three of Miami’s singles wins came against USF, while all three of Miami’s doubles victories came against FIU.

Men’s Track

Scheiner wins 3000-meters

Senior Jon Scheiner, who posted a personal-best time of 8:37.47, won the 3000-meters at the Florida Intercollegiate. Junior Richard Bernard also did an outstanding job, as he finished second overall in the mile, with a time of 4:25.43.

Also impressive was freshman Cory Nelms, who reached the finals in the 55-meters and 55-meter hurdles. Nelms finished 15th in the 55-meters and 12th overall in the 55-meter hurdles. This was Nelms’ first collegiate meet.

Men’s Cross Country

Miami wins Sportsmanship Award

Miami’s men’s cross country team was recently awarded the 2006 ACC Fall Sportsmanship Award. Miami earned this award for their third consecutive year.

Winning the award means that the team, throughout their season, carried themselves with a great degree of sportsmanship and character. After many of the negatives that have afflicted University of Miami sports, this is a bright spot.

Men’s Tennis

Kicking off the season

Senior Luigi D’Agord posted a perfect 3-0 record at the UM Spring Invitational, ending on Jan. 15. D’Agord, who went in at the top-flight singles position, defeated Duke’s Joey Atas to win the three-day invitational.

D’Agord, fellow All-American Daniel Vallverdu, and the No. 11 Hurricanes will face off, at home, against the University of North Florida on Sunday Jan. 21. This match will be Miami’s dual season opener.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.