Resident sexually battered in Pearson dorm room

A white male entered a room in Pearson Residential College and sexually battered the occupant some time between 5 and 6 a.m. on Wednesday, the University of Miami Police Department reported Friday afternoon.

UM police, who notified the university community in an e-mail crime alert, do not know whether the perpetrator was a resident of Pearson or an intruder. The male is said to have sexually fondled the victim before taking personal items belonging to the victim.

The crime alert did not specify whether the victim was a male or female, nor did it say where in Pearson the reported battery occurred. Also, no information as to whether a roommate was present or if the victim had a roommate was included.

The Student Rights and Responsibilities handbook defines sexual battery as non-consensual oral, anal or vaginal penetration by or union with the sexual organ of another or by any other object. The handbook classifies this as a major offense that may result in disciplinary action by the university and/or criminal prosecution.

Lt. Bill Gerlach of the UMPD said that, as of Friday, they have no other information on the crime or the attacker and that the department is assisting the Coral Gables Police Department in their investigation.

Additional security personnel were stationed after the attack, Gerlach said. He added that any long-term security increases would be evaluated after the investigation.

According to the most recent Safety Matters, the UM Public Safety brochure, there were no forcible sexual offenses in student residences reported in 2003 or 2005, but six were reported in 2004-all of which were committed by someone the victim knew. Gerlach said the 2006 numbers are not yet available.

The last sex crime on campus reported via e-mail crime alert was an indecent exposure case that took place last summer.

A phone message left Friday for the Coral Gables PD public information officer regarding the most recent case was not returned. The PIO was not in the office during the weekend, when a second message was left.

Anyone with information about the crime is asked to contact the Coral Gables Police Department at 305-442-1600, the UM Police Department at 305-284-6666 or Crimestoppers at 305-471-8477.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...