No “Do Not Enter” sign on our border

Take a second to ask yourself where you were five years ago. Or where your parents or grandparents were when they were your age and younger? You get the picture. The argument about immigration and immigration reform often brings up this response that we are all immigrants.

We’re all either immigrants or their descendents. Therefore, the issues surrounding what’s going on with today’s immigrants are also our issues. With the Sensenbrenner-King Bill of 2005, it has truly become our concern, because now, even if you simply know or have helped an immigrant, you’re at risk.

This bill, passed by the House of Representatives, criminalizes immigrants and aims to make any form of helping and supporting undocumented immigrants a felony. With the Secure Fence Act, President Bush authorized 700 miles of barriers to be built on the U.S.-Mexico border. Now, we are literally closing our doors, redefining and strengthening our borders, to keep out the “others” and “outsiders” who don’t belong here.

Does anyone else see the irony in this? We need to tell people what is going on, because it doesn’t seem like they know what their government is doing. Do we really support building this fence and criminalizing human beings for being or helping undocumented immigrants? Is this really what the American Way and American Dream have become?

Bernardita Yunis is a junior majoring in communication studies and international studies. She may be contacted at b.yunis@umiami.edu

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...