No “Do Not Enter” sign on our border

Take a second to ask yourself where you were five years ago. Or where your parents or grandparents were when they were your age and younger? You get the picture. The argument about immigration and immigration reform often brings up this response that we are all immigrants.

We’re all either immigrants or their descendents. Therefore, the issues surrounding what’s going on with today’s immigrants are also our issues. With the Sensenbrenner-King Bill of 2005, it has truly become our concern, because now, even if you simply know or have helped an immigrant, you’re at risk.

This bill, passed by the House of Representatives, criminalizes immigrants and aims to make any form of helping and supporting undocumented immigrants a felony. With the Secure Fence Act, President Bush authorized 700 miles of barriers to be built on the U.S.-Mexico border. Now, we are literally closing our doors, redefining and strengthening our borders, to keep out the “others” and “outsiders” who don’t belong here.

Does anyone else see the irony in this? We need to tell people what is going on, because it doesn’t seem like they know what their government is doing. Do we really support building this fence and criminalizing human beings for being or helping undocumented immigrants? Is this really what the American Way and American Dream have become?

Bernardita Yunis is a junior majoring in communication studies and international studies. She may be contacted at b.yunis@umiami.edu

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...