Complex beats make up rap debut

Lil’ Jon’s young prodigy has finally released his major debut album. In “Bred 2 Die, Born 2 Live,” Lil’ Scrappy had the luck to score two of the biggest names in the rap-game, Lil’ Jon and 50 Cent, to executive produce his album.

Hailing from Atlanta, the 22-year-old rapper was one of the first to sign onto Lil’ Jon’s record company, BME Recordings. According to Jon, Scrappy is “one of the best up and coming threats down south.” Starting to write rhymes at the age of nine, Scrappy was said to be ahead of the game by the age of 13, having great wordplay when it came to is nouns and verbs.

There are a total of 19 tracks in “Bred 2 Die, Born 2 Live,” half of which feature guest appearances from MC’s that range from 50 Cent to Three 6 Mafia. In the album’s single, “Money In the Bank,” featuring G-Unit’s Young Buck and sporting a bass-driven beat, Scrappy boasts “50 got me/ Lil Jon got me/ I got a big-ass family/How you gon’ stop me?” Other tracks like G-S*** features a more complex beat which is a nice change from the simple and lacking bass-driven tracks which just about anyone can come up with in less than a minute.

The best song on the album is “Baby Daddy;” a mellow tune directed at all the babies’ mommas and the drama that arises in the relationship having Scrappy crow “This is for all the baby daddies.” The lyrics throughout the album aren’t too impressive, just your average 16 bars with a witty line here and there.

With some more time and knowledge that will come along his way, Scrappy’s lines should become more skillful and cunning, having them offer more serious subject topics. For now, “Bred 2 Die, Born 2 Live” should be seen as a good first draft.

Marcos Col

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...