Complex beats make up rap debut

Lil’ Jon’s young prodigy has finally released his major debut album. In “Bred 2 Die, Born 2 Live,” Lil’ Scrappy had the luck to score two of the biggest names in the rap-game, Lil’ Jon and 50 Cent, to executive produce his album.

Hailing from Atlanta, the 22-year-old rapper was one of the first to sign onto Lil’ Jon’s record company, BME Recordings. According to Jon, Scrappy is “one of the best up and coming threats down south.” Starting to write rhymes at the age of nine, Scrappy was said to be ahead of the game by the age of 13, having great wordplay when it came to is nouns and verbs.

There are a total of 19 tracks in “Bred 2 Die, Born 2 Live,” half of which feature guest appearances from MC’s that range from 50 Cent to Three 6 Mafia. In the album’s single, “Money In the Bank,” featuring G-Unit’s Young Buck and sporting a bass-driven beat, Scrappy boasts “50 got me/ Lil Jon got me/ I got a big-ass family/How you gon’ stop me?” Other tracks like G-S*** features a more complex beat which is a nice change from the simple and lacking bass-driven tracks which just about anyone can come up with in less than a minute.

The best song on the album is “Baby Daddy;” a mellow tune directed at all the babies’ mommas and the drama that arises in the relationship having Scrappy crow “This is for all the baby daddies.” The lyrics throughout the album aren’t too impressive, just your average 16 bars with a witty line here and there.

With some more time and knowledge that will come along his way, Scrappy’s lines should become more skillful and cunning, having them offer more serious subject topics. For now, “Bred 2 Die, Born 2 Live” should be seen as a good first draft.

Marcos Col

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...