Sports Briefs

VOLLEYBALL
Hurricanes Finish Season with Split

Miami finished its final two games of the regular season with a victory against Wake Forest and a loss to No. 25 Duke University. The Hurricanes finished their season 12-19 overall and 9-13 in Atlantic Coast Conference play.

On Nov. 22, Miami defeated Wake Forest in four games (13-30, 32-30, 31-29, 30-23).

Sophomore Lauren Rinderknecht gave the Hurricanes a spark by registering her first double-double on the season with a career high 16 kills and 10 digs.

Setter Jill Robinson led Miami with 43 assists and added 12 digs for her 14th double-double on the season.

Miami was unable to finish the season on a high note losing to Duke in three straight games (30-23, 30-23, 30-15) on Nov. 24.

The Hurricanes were led by junior Ciara Michel with 11 kills and Ashley Woods with 10 kills. Robinson registered 28 assists along with eight digs. Senior Ann Gallo posted a team high 17 digs.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL
Miami Wins Thanksgiving Tournament

Senior point guard Renee Taylor earned Tournament MVP honors by leading Miami (6-1) victory in the University of Miami Thanksgiving Tournament at the Bank United Center. Taylor averaged 23.5 points per game over the two-day tournament. The Hurricanes dominated Nicholls State 85-42 in the opening game and held off Indiana 79-70 in the championship game.

The victory by Miami over Nicholls St. marked the first time the Hurricanes held an opponent to 42 points or under since 2001.

Forward Brittany Denson posted her third double-double of the season with 10 points and 12 rebounds. Maurita Reid and Renee Taylor led the scoring for Miami with 21 and 19 points respectively.

The Hurricanes led against Indiana from the opening bucket to the closing horn. Miami had leads of 36-16 and 67-51, but eventually came away with a 79-70 victory over Indiana.

Taylor led Miami with 28 points on 9-17 shooting. Reid and Albrey Grimsley controlled to defensive side by racking up five steals each.

NBA
Hite Gets on the Board

UM alum and current Miami Heat guard Robert Hite scored the first points of his NBA career on Nov. 22 when he scored nine points on 4-6 shooting against the San Antonio Spurs. Hite has seen action in three of the Heat’s games this season and has scored in two of them.

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...