Indian students stay in touch with roots with traditional, modern dance

While most people wait until Thanksgiving to acknowledge what they’re thankful for, the entire month of November gave the Indian Students Association cause for celebration.

Nov. 4 marked its 15th annual Diwali show, where more than 600 people attended to celebrate the Hindu New Year with dancing, singing and Indian cuisine.

“Diwali is such a learning experience,” said Kinjal Changela, a sophomore member of ISA. “I’m Indian, but I grew up in Saudi Arabia, so it makes me more aware

of my culture.”

Dancers not only performed traditional Indian dances, but also acts that featured songs and dances from different Bollywood movies.

“You can’t get through a Bollywood movie without at least one extravagant song and dance number,” said Harry Madhanagopal, president of the Indian Students Association.

The ISA dancers took their acts to Tampa on Nov. 11 for Tampafest, an annual Indian festival, where they competed against dance teams from other major universities in Florida, including the University of Florida and the University of South Florida.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...