Indian students stay in touch with roots with traditional, modern dance

While most people wait until Thanksgiving to acknowledge what they’re thankful for, the entire month of November gave the Indian Students Association cause for celebration.

Nov. 4 marked its 15th annual Diwali show, where more than 600 people attended to celebrate the Hindu New Year with dancing, singing and Indian cuisine.

“Diwali is such a learning experience,” said Kinjal Changela, a sophomore member of ISA. “I’m Indian, but I grew up in Saudi Arabia, so it makes me more aware

of my culture.”

Dancers not only performed traditional Indian dances, but also acts that featured songs and dances from different Bollywood movies.

“You can’t get through a Bollywood movie without at least one extravagant song and dance number,” said Harry Madhanagopal, president of the Indian Students Association.

The ISA dancers took their acts to Tampa on Nov. 11 for Tampafest, an annual Indian festival, where they competed against dance teams from other major universities in Florida, including the University of Florida and the University of South Florida.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...