Indian students stay in touch with roots with traditional, modern dance

While most people wait until Thanksgiving to acknowledge what they’re thankful for, the entire month of November gave the Indian Students Association cause for celebration.

Nov. 4 marked its 15th annual Diwali show, where more than 600 people attended to celebrate the Hindu New Year with dancing, singing and Indian cuisine.

“Diwali is such a learning experience,” said Kinjal Changela, a sophomore member of ISA. “I’m Indian, but I grew up in Saudi Arabia, so it makes me more aware

of my culture.”

Dancers not only performed traditional Indian dances, but also acts that featured songs and dances from different Bollywood movies.

“You can’t get through a Bollywood movie without at least one extravagant song and dance number,” said Harry Madhanagopal, president of the Indian Students Association.

The ISA dancers took their acts to Tampa on Nov. 11 for Tampafest, an annual Indian festival, where they competed against dance teams from other major universities in Florida, including the University of Florida and the University of South Florida.

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...