Has Darren Aronofsky found The Fountain of youth?

Some have said “The Fountain” works best if looked at as an “experience” rather than a movie. Others claim the movie doesn’t work no matter how you slice it. If nothing else, one thing is for certain: “The Fountain” has moviegoers divided.

The reason seems to be because it asks big questions and ultimately takes itself very seriously. This can be disastrous for a film, especially if it happens to be about undying love (are you snickering yet)?

The story itself takes place in three different time periods. In the present, a determined drug developer, Tommy Creo (Hugh Jackman) struggles to find a cure for his wife’s brain tumor. The dying wife, Izzy (Rachel Weisz), happens to be writing a book about a Spanish Conquistador (Jackman again) in the 1500s who is searching for the Fountain of Youth in the hopes of saving the life of Queen Isabel (Weisz again). Then there’s the 26th century angle in which a bald Jackman flies around the universe in a bubble with a dying tree beside him.

This might all sound like poppycock, but in the hands of writer/director Darren Aronofksy (“Pi”, “Requiem for a Dream”), it comes off as heartfelt. With help from his wonderful cinematographer (Matthew Libatique) and composer (Clint Mansell), Aronofsky has managed to craft an intricate and often dazzling puzzle of quiet moments of sadness and longing.

Jackman and Weisz pour their hearts into the film as well, but make no mistake, this is Aronofsky’s baby. His earnest dedication to the project – six years in the making – isn’t just a sign of stubbornness, but of his own undying love as well.

And while “The Fountain” is not without its limitations (the pacing is sometimes erratic, and the acting a little stilted at times), Aronosfky and team get brownie points for venturing into the unknown; and by doing so, giving us a film that is unique, challenging and arresting. Which are some of the best qualities a film can have.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...