Has Darren Aronofsky found The Fountain of youth?

Some have said “The Fountain” works best if looked at as an “experience” rather than a movie. Others claim the movie doesn’t work no matter how you slice it. If nothing else, one thing is for certain: “The Fountain” has moviegoers divided.

The reason seems to be because it asks big questions and ultimately takes itself very seriously. This can be disastrous for a film, especially if it happens to be about undying love (are you snickering yet)?

The story itself takes place in three different time periods. In the present, a determined drug developer, Tommy Creo (Hugh Jackman) struggles to find a cure for his wife’s brain tumor. The dying wife, Izzy (Rachel Weisz), happens to be writing a book about a Spanish Conquistador (Jackman again) in the 1500s who is searching for the Fountain of Youth in the hopes of saving the life of Queen Isabel (Weisz again). Then there’s the 26th century angle in which a bald Jackman flies around the universe in a bubble with a dying tree beside him.

This might all sound like poppycock, but in the hands of writer/director Darren Aronofksy (“Pi”, “Requiem for a Dream”), it comes off as heartfelt. With help from his wonderful cinematographer (Matthew Libatique) and composer (Clint Mansell), Aronofsky has managed to craft an intricate and often dazzling puzzle of quiet moments of sadness and longing.

Jackman and Weisz pour their hearts into the film as well, but make no mistake, this is Aronofsky’s baby. His earnest dedication to the project – six years in the making – isn’t just a sign of stubbornness, but of his own undying love as well.

And while “The Fountain” is not without its limitations (the pacing is sometimes erratic, and the acting a little stilted at times), Aronosfky and team get brownie points for venturing into the unknown; and by doing so, giving us a film that is unique, challenging and arresting. Which are some of the best qualities a film can have.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...